New to MCSE

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Solidarity14, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Solidarity14

Solidarity14 New Member

I am new to this field (MCSE) as most of you seem to be. I am just looking into doing the MCSE courses at home through Advent learning, I see that several of you have chosen this route and are finding it quite difficult. I have a reasonably good knowledge of PC's and have taught myself everything I know so hopefully I will be able to get through this (possibly with a lot of help from this forum!!!). If anyone has any advice please feel free as I will probably need lots of it.

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Solidarity and welcome to the forum :D

The best advice I can give you is stick around this forum throughout your quest for MCSE. It is a long tough road to follow and this thread is not the one to go into finite detail. I would suggest you pose a question now in the certification forums and I am sure you will get many responses.

Ask something like this... I am thinking of pursuing the MCSE 2003 track, I have x years experience with XYZ and have been working in the industry as an X for the past X years. How should I approach this, is self study possible or should I maybe join up with a training provider? How long does it usually take? Are the exams really hard? Is the certification going to land me a great job with fantastic money?

The answers people here will give to those type of questions will enlighten you, I am sure!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

welcome to CF mate! and what Blurinse said! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Solidarity14. Welcome to CertForums. Glad you found the place. You're right...this line of studying is difficult. Fortunately, in addition to the folks here who are at the same stage in their learning as you are, we also have a few who have achieved the goals. We learn a lot from each other. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Solidarity14

Solidarity14 New Member

If I were to try and learn this at home by myself without a training company where would I get the books? Which books should I be getting? and is it possible?

7. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome! :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is just my opinion but I think you can start learning for your MCSE at home but it would be pretty difficult to acquire all the skill sets from just reading books and not having any "hands on".

I think Bluerinse self-studied but in addition to the books, you need to have some sort of home lab where you can run servers and workstations. This isn't the sort of set of certifications where you can read a book and expect to pass all the tests.

Hopefully, you've been visiting our Microsoft cert forums and getting a sense of what it takes to earn these certifications. As far as books go, you can start with those published by MS Press but I'd recommend book from two different publishers just to make sure you get everything. Sometimes a book will have gaps in its information. As far as where to get the books...well, I tend to buy at Amazon but I'm sure most book stores would also have a good supply of the appropriate texts.

I don't have any MS certs so I can hardly say I'm an expert. Bluerinse on the other hand is an MCSE and his advice is quite valuable. I wish you luck on your pursuits. Don't forget to post all your MS cert questions in the appropriate MS forum here. Thanks. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hi and welcome to CF!
    i also just start my journey to mcse through self-study and alot of hands-on! im in the industry but supporting desktops and just about everything else apart from server! :(
    im about 3/4 way through 70-270 so if you need any help just shout out!! :thumbleft :beers2

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to the Forums! :biggrin

I'm not an MCSE (Nor do I want to be) but I'll certainly have a stab at any questions you may have.

:)