new to IT

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by phatdan1978, May 5, 2011.

1. phatdan1978

phatdan1978 New Member

hi guys, this is my first time on here so any advice would be gratefull.
    i have just passed both exams for my mcdst qualification and i am now starting to look for work. the problem is that all the employers want people with at least 1 years experience!! i have only come across 2 jobs for entry level positions.
    is there anyone who knows of specific companies that employ entry level personel?

thanks

2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

welcome to CF.

you should still be applying for jobs that ask for 1 years experience. the job spec is generally a guide and not all applicants have what is stated. you may possess other attributes which the interviewer likes. its about selling what you have and can give. if you keep working at your certs then an employer is more likely to see your potential.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You can also argue that the time spent studying for your certs counts as experience.
    I'm assuming that you didn't just sit and read a book.
    If you did any tinkering, labs, simulations or just trying stuff out - well, it's experience, isn't it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. phatdan1978

phatdan1978 New Member

hi guys, thanks for the replies.
    yes i have been tinkering at home as much as possible. its great as i have a desktop with XP and my laptop with 7 so basically my desktop is my office. its helped alot actually.
    ive been applying for a few that ask for 1 years ex but wasn't to sure if that was been cheeky but as you have stated i have to sell myself.
    thanks again for the help