NEW TO IT, is this for me?

Discussion in 'A+' started by kat40, Aug 14, 2009.

1. kat40

kat40 Bit Poster

i am changing career in my early forties, and have been recommended to consider the COMPTIA A+ pathway, do i need any special skills ie maths, electronics knowledge to do this sort of training? it looks quite technical but iv'e got a good brain i think i could handle it
    what are the job prospects like?

2. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I shouldn't think so. As long as you've got a computer you can open up and mess about with you should be fine ;)
    As for the job prospects, it's hard to find a job atm in any profession. I would think entry level IT is especially hard, but there are jobs out there!

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

well, the only person who knows if it's right for you is you.

Technically people aren't allowed to discriminate against age, but in entry level IT jobs you'll probably be interviewed by someone the same age as your kids - as long as you haven't got a problem with that.

I'm a big believer in hiring more 'mature' people (well. as long as they aren't completely useless) so there is nothing to say that you won't find something.

You really don't need to know maths or physics or anything like that to start out, just a willingness to learn and an open mind. If you've coped with your gramophone becoming a turntable and then a CD player then you have all the technological mindset that you need.

- actually you're probably only a few years older than me, so I'm talking rubbish really...

:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yeap, I agree with that, followed by the Network+ and the MCDST :)

While it will help, you won't be asked to:

1. Calculate the square root of the size of the motherboard when multipled by the sum of 2 opposing forces and
    2. You won't be asked to solder transistors on motherboard either

To be honest, it depends on the area your in during this climate (recession). I haven't seen an entry level position in the last 3 weeks in my area, however during normal times they're ok. However once you're in, they are alot better :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. kat40

kat40 Bit Poster

thanks everyone, most encouraging!
    well i will probalby give it a bash, see how it goes, buy one of the recommended books from amazon first and go from there!

someone did say i could learn most of what i need from self study from a recommended book and then go for the exams, is that right? or is it better to pay for course materials from a course provider?

:biggrin

6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I recently repaired a couple of flat screens by replacing the capacitors though...

Absolutely right, grab a copy of the Mike Meyers AIO, James Pyles PC Technician Street Smarts and an old PC and get to studying.

When your ready you can book the exams through Prometric or Pearson Vue, look around for some international vouchers first though, you shouldn't need to pay full whack for any certification exam :p

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. kat40

kat40 Bit Poster

wow...just like that!
    i'm getting quite excited about this now..:D
    so you think the mike meyers book is better than the jean andrews?
    i'm totally new to this so i want to be sure i'm buying the right one
    thanks re hot tips, glad i joined this forum!:D

8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I've not actually read the Jean Andrews book, all I know is the Mike Meyers got me through my exams and I've never heard a negative word about it. And Street Smarts is recommended all over this forum because we like to help ouot our members bank balances where we can (and its really good obviously) :p:twisted:

Truthfully though, you should never do all your studying from one source, the Mike Meyers got me through on its own but I think thats largely because I'm working with the tech everyday and have been for a number of years (3 of which I've actually been being paid for!).

EDIT: oh and if posts are helpful, a little rep goes a long way :P

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. kat40

kat40 Bit Poster

rep duly added, thanks! i've ordered the mike meyers book!:biggrin
    looked closer at it on amazon, seems fairly digestible and appears to be highly recommended
    i'll give that a go but i've found the street smarts one there too and have put it on my wish list!:D