1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to IT but have just done a course on 70-642 and will be sitting the exam eek!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 Exams' started by techmob, Apr 15, 2011.

1. techmob

techmob New Member

Hi

i have been reading this forum for some time, today i finally registered. I have just been on a course for the 70-642 and will be sitting my exam later on this year

i have only been doing IT for 1.5 years and that is mainly supporting users, fixing printers and a little bit of AD etc

i have never really done anything with building servers or installing services.

My work wanted me to go on this course and do an exam on it (they are paying) however i did not do any of the prerequisite as i have not even had any experience with server 2003 etc.

i have limited network experience and having just been on this course i found it to difficult if i am honest

the tutor whom was excellent was reffering to stuff that was in server 2003 that the other students knew (i didn't). i went along with the flow not to slow the class down but there were people in there who had over 10 years experience and knew there stuff, I felt i shouldn't of been there and probably didn't get as much as i could of got out of it if i had more experince in this

I was able to complete the labs ok following the book however i feel most of it has not sunk in yet, understandable i suppose

i am now going to be learning at home and will be making my self a virtual lab so i can learn that way

Is it realistic for someone with my experience to be able to learn and pass this exam within a few months?

I have CBT nuggets videos, microsoft self paced book and will be using this form for other reference (baring in mind i have never studied in my life)

Work was going to put me on a network + course but they wanted me to go on this 70-642 instead.

i have a citrix course in September

thanks

p.s what would be the best aids in studying for this?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. maverick81

maverick81 Bit Poster

I'm sure with plenty of hard work and commitment on your part you can get through it.

I'm not new to IT I have been in the industry since 1997, I haven't taken any exams since NT4.0 so I suppose you could say I am new to certification.

I'll send you some links to good study resources if you like, I'm looking for folk who are starting to take MCP's and form a little study group that way we can encourage each other to study and get exams passed etc

Good luck with your exams :biggrin

WIP: MCITP Server 2008 Administrator