New to contracting! Advice needed, cheers!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by millsie, Dec 13, 2013.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Hey all,

After becoming a father for the first time this week to a bundle of joy a daughter I have also been out job hunting and found a contract position that I interviewed for and secured the role as a network engineer. So it was happy days this week!! :biggrin

However, this is my very first time contracting as previous roles since I entered into this career of IT have all been permanent.

I need some advice on umbrella companies, how they work, what to avoid, whether this is my only option to sort out my affairs and how to get the best deal. Im sure there's tons of stuff on google but this is the place I normally come to for accurate info from people in the know!

At the moment all I have done is sign a contract and its down to me to sort this matter.

Im not sure if there is any articles on cert that anyone can point me to? There was nothing pinned anyway but i'd imagine this has been touched on quite a few times before so I apologize in advance if anyone feels they are repeating themselves!

Cheers in advance guys

Millsie

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well they all differ in bits and bobs, i know that much.

The one i used were quite ok, although some people did slate them, but i found if you were straight with them and made sure you knew how you were getting paid, ie weekly, fortnightly or monthly. They do give you all your money apart from tax, which they pay on your behalf, any holiday pay is given to you in your wages.

Keep on top of everything and youll be fine, i think i went for the cheapest option, but there were other options but what they were is beyond me now.

Ill look for the name of the one i used, and ill post it to you

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Nibble Poster Premium Member

Congrats on the 1st contract, taking that initial plunge into contracting can be scary.

I used Go Umbrella for my first few years in contracting, before setting up as a Ltd Co. and never had any problems. Not the cheapest but always reliable.

I would strongly advise you to stay away from all the 90% offshore options as these are very likely to come back and bite you, tax wise, in the future.

SR

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I used to use Paystream and used them for a number of years (6 - 7) prior to that I used ParasolIT.

I would have thought that any contracts you signed would have to be between the umbrella company and the client and you and the umbrella company.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Hi Simon,
    Cheers for this, someone else recommended parasol, I think i'll go with them. Certainly their website is good and pretty clear.

Cheers everyone else for your help

Millsie

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902