New to ASP.net and want to do MCPD

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Littlened, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Littlened

Littlened New Member

To give you a bit of background information, I work for myself developing database driven websites using PHP & MYSQL.

I want to move onto ASP.net and have seen the MCPD offered by microsoft.

I have a bit of experience in ASP.net, but very little, and it's been almost 10 year since I've done anything with VB.

So my questions is, if I buy all the necessary books and read them and other resources, will it learn me asp.net and help me pass the exams? or will I be way out of my depth having very little experience?

2. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Hey mate, combined it with some hands on while reading and im sure you'll be fine for the exams.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  3. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Welcome :D .

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's a tough one to crack - but it's crackable...

I'm an MCSD with a few years .NET experience and I failed the MCPD beta a while ago. It kind of put me off going for the real thing.
    The exam went into much more depth than anything I had done in the past...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I agree - most things are possible with the right material and will to suceed. Oh, welcome aboard :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Littlened

Littlened New Member

One thing I'm abit worried about is that the reviews I've read on the self-teach books say there are lots of mistakes and they don't go into much depth

Considering I want to do the MCTS+MCPD are there any other learning materials I could use? So far I've ordered...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCTS-Self-P...4053541?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175072195&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCTS-Self-P...4053541?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175072195&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Programming...665698-4053541?ie=UTF8&qid=1175072303&sr=11-1

Are there any videos out there?

7. Littlened

Littlened New Member

I've been looking at the preparation guide for..

Preparation Guide for Exam 70-536
    TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0—Application Development Foundation

and from what I gather I've got to know and use asp.net before I should start studying? is this right?

8. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

Take a look at Here. The books I find are more of a suplement to actually doing the things. Other option is to find some poor company to buy the online material too (like I did) :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You don't need ASP knowledge for the 70-536 exam, its the .Net framework which is basically an OO library, plus some knowledge of the Visual Studio environment, annotations and AOP features like declarative security.

If you have 10 years experience in development then you should be able to pass the exams given a few months study, just don't expect top marks !

The MS exam guides are the best resource for the exams, they don't cover everything you might be asked in the exam however. I advise reading around the topics a little, looking at MCPD blogs and buying the MS approved MeasureUp tests.