New Starter

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by kkeithh, Jul 20, 2006.

1. kkeithh

kkeithh New Member

Hi All

One question really, I have just had a rep round from
    "Skill Train" The thought of starting at the bottom ie compTIA and working through to CCNA is fine. I need a new career.But I would like to know if there is any body else out there who has either completed or mid way through. Who can say if "Skill Train" are as supportive as they say and provide the service they offer once they have taken your money.
    I live in Lincolnshire,England and need a new career due to L/abk amputation!

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Do a search in these forums - you will find plenty of opinions on this. Note that it is human nature to shout louder with negative opinions compared to positive ones - so take that into account!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Welcome to CF :biggrin

Harry has a good point!

There are lots of thread (comments) about learning providers, I guess it's also about how much you are willing to put into long distance learning!

It's not everybody's cup of tea, then again if you are going for the long distance approach, why don't you go the self study route for A+ and N+ and save your money for a boot camp for CCNA.

Click here to read about self study route by Zimbo

Good luck!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. superal

superal Bit Poster

Hi thought I'd drop this in....

http://www.itskillsresearch.co.uk/public/top50-06.shtml

Although its based on revenues and are largely used by larger companies in the city/docklands to train their staff (probably elsewhere too of course) in large numbers. Its interesting to see the names in there, not many that are banded about on these forums!

I signed up for a MCDST with Interquad earlier in the year because they had a cheapish deal (500 quid) going at the time. They give you a year to take the classes so no hurry.... I want to finish my A+ self study first though.

Just giving another perspective.... Self study is great if you are a determined self disciplined character... but on personal experience nothing beats being taught by someone who really knows what their talking about!

Do your research and find out what exactly you get for your money before shelling out (i.e. official books, CDs, DVDs, tutor support online/phone, labs, contact hours, tests etc etc.) and find out what others are offering!

Certifications: None in IT
    WIP: MCSE possibly maybe!?