New Star Trek Movie

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Jul 27, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've heard rumors for months about a possible Star Trek movie involving a young Kirk and Spock but didn't believe it would really happen until I read this official announcement. There's also going to be one extremely famous star in this film...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/27/people.leonardnimoy.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. shambles

shambles Guest

Is this the one where they have to go into the future to make more easy money? :dry

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I suppose you could say that about the new Indiana Jones movie being made as well. In fact, I remember a quote from Spielberg or Lucas saying that they were having a lot of fun making the film because they didn't have to worry about their careers anymore.

Getting 76 year old Leonard Nimoy to sign on is pretty big. I don't think he needs the money at this point so he must have been impressed with the project.

Several of the Star Trek movies have been real dogs including I, III, and especially V so this new film isn't going to be an automatic hit. Add the fact that the series Star Trek: Enterprise flopped after a disappointing four seasons and I think we can see that the Star Trek franchise isn't as robust as it once was.

Of course, people from my generation grew up on Star Trek, so there'll always be that nostalgic pull for us. It'll be interesting to see if they can manage to make this movie worthwhile.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm a big Star Trek fan, can't wait to see the movie :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Cooooool :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I hope its good and they hurry up and make it.

I had head of this last year sometime but the director (cant remember who it was) decided not to be involved and more.

But apparently the story has stayed the same it revolves around kirk being at star fleet acadamey where he meets a young Mr Spock.

The only problem is I had heard that Matt Damon is going to play Kirk, Matt Damon sucks

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

A lot of people think William Shatner sucks, too. :tongue

I can't say that I've seen a lot of Matt Damon movies but I'm really looking forward to The Bourne Ultimatum.

As far as more news about the Star Trek movie, it can be found on the official Star Trek site. Oh, the film is supposed to be in theaters Christmas time 2008.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'll be all over this movie... and since the kids were born, I haven't had the chance to go to many.

Unfortunately, this is an odd-numbered Trek film, and I fear the curse... :ohmy

Perhaps I'll scan in a pic of me in a TNG uniform... :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Robbie Williams for Kirk?
    He missed out on Bond...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. greenbrucelee

Not Robbie he sucks more than Matt Damon.

David Boreanaz might be ok as Kirk.

That dude that plays Lex in Smallvile might be ok as Spock

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It sounds good to me, I have enjoyed most of the trek films. Apart from some of the more obvious turkeys. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. AJ

Yea I guess the usual odd number curse may apply, I really hope not though.

13. shambles

shambles Guest

Star Trek is a strange creature. I really liked 'Enterprise' and 'Voyager', but wasn't so impressed by anything else - almost the reverse of conventional wisdom... None of the films have really done it for me either, although I quite liked the 'Picard meets the Borg' one...

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

To be honest I cant quite see Michael Rosenbaum with pointy ears and fancy looking eyebrows. Especially since he's so good at playing Lex in Smallville.

I will admit I was pleased to hear they were making an 11th one. It feels like a lifetime since Nemesis was out. I was surprised about our friend from Heroes (Zachary Quinto - Sylar) would be playing Spock, but now that I think about it, he certainly is right for the part. I mean he's halfway to looking like Spock in Heroes anyway :biggrin

As for Kirk, I wouldnt even know who to pick to play him. But I think you guys are forgetting 3 other main characters: Dr McCoy, Scotty and that Russian type fella (for the life I cannot remember his name) who prounces vessel as "wessel". :biggrin I will never forget that one. Figure out who will be playing those 3 never mind Kirk and Spock.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Summed up nicely! :thumbleft

CF Christmas Get together 2008 - lets all go to the cinema! :biggrin

16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Chekov (spelling?).

I don't think anyone has forgotton the other characters, but I don't think they knew each other prior to being crew on the Enterprise. That is just an assumtion on my part, no idea if it's true or not.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  17. AJ

Pavel Chekov was brought into the original program because it was pointed out after it had started that there was no Russians in this "multinational" crew.

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, if this is supposed to be a meeting between Kirk and Spock at Starfleet Academy, it shouldn't take place. Spock was serving on the Enterprise as Science Officer (but not first officer) 13 years before Kirk was Captain under Captain Christopher Pike. My guess would be that, since Vulcans are more long lived than humans, Spock was in Star Fleet longer and probably attended the academy before Kirk did.

My guess about the movie is that it will be about the time Kirk first becomes the Enterprise's Captain. Spock was already serving on board as I mention previously. If you watch the episode "Where No Man has Gone Before" from the original series, you'll get an idea of who should and shouldn't be present. That was the first episode ever filmed of that series and the second pilot (the first pilot was called "The Cage" but it didn't fly with NBC). The only other crew members you'd be familiar with would be Scotty and Sulu and while Scotty was the Chief Engineer, Sulu was head of the physical sciences department.

McCoy wouldn't appear until the episode "Man Trap" (which was the first one actually aired) and Chekov wouldn't appear until the first episode of the second season "The Amok Time". Uhura wasn't present at the very beginning either, but was on board before McCoy since we see her in "The Corbonite Maneuver" which is another early "pre-McCoy" episode.

Who I'm hoping will show up is Gary Mitchell, Kirk's best friend who was killed at the end of the second pilot. I'm also hoping that whoever is writing and directing this movie watches those early, early episodes to get a feel for what the Enterprise should be like. I also hope they watch the first pilot (again and again) for the same reason...to get the feeling of the "old" Enterprise.

If I'm right and if this works, the movie can be the "pilot" for the next Star Trek series about the very first adventures of NCC 1701 "no bloody A, B, C, or D" to quote Scotty. :tongue

It would be everything that Star Trek: Enterprise should have been but wasn't.

19. greenbrucelee

Thats what confused me Trip because I had heard it was all about them meeting at Starfleet but we all know Spock was serving under Christopher Pike.

Maybe the Spock and Kirk Stories in the film are different but comes together at the end such as: Kirk is training to become an Officer and Spock is doing some research and some conspiracy or something brings them together

20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'd be up for that :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009