New Star Trek Film

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Oct 12, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Oh no there using a comic actor to play Scotty http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7041249.stm

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I hope they don't screw this up. Spock and Kirk most likely didn't graduate from the academy in the same year. In fact, Spock was Science Officer (but not First Officer) aboard the Enterprise 13 years before Kirk took command (Christopher Pike was the Captain and a woman known only as "Number One" was First Officer). This is according to the first Star Trek pilot "The Cage" which was later made into the only two-part Star Trek Original Series episode "The Menagerie"

In the second pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before", Kirk was Captain and Spock was Science Officer/First Officer. Scotty was apparently Chief Engineer but we only see him operating the transporter and attending a briefing with the other department heads. Sulu is department head for the Math department (believe it or not) and McCoy wasn't serving aboard the Enterprise yet (Dr. Deyner was CMO).

If the film makes it seem as if they all graduated from the Academy in the same class, they will (once again) be guilty of revisionist history.

EDIT: As far as a comic actor playing Scotty, this isn't necessarily a disaster. It depends on how wide a range of talents his particular actor has (and I've never heard of him before). A lot of comic actors don't play drama because they are "type cast" as comics, not because they aren't good at it. That said, half the time, the character of Scotty was played for comedy anyway. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. greenbrucelee

You are correct, I hope they don't screw it up either.

I love Star Trek the Origional and Next generation but wasn't to keen on the others.

My favorite two episodes of the origional series (can't remember the titles) are the one where spock falls in love and you see him in the tree with the lute type instrument and the one where they are all gangsters.

Next Generation has to be Elimentry dear data.

The problem I have with this Actor Simon Pegg is that I don't think he can act, he is not all that funny either but for some reason because he was in Shaun of the Dead and Run Fatboy Run (2 quite popular films) he seems to be getting lots of offers.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

oohooh, a topic on the forums where I actually know something :D

You’re right on all that Trip. The women who played "Number One" in the Cage was in fact Marjel Barret, the future wife of Gene Roddenbery and of Course Mrs Troy in the next Gen (can't spell her first name :() as well as the voice of the computer.

Roddenbery is famously quoted as saying that when the studio rejected the first pilot (the Cage) that he was told to get rid of either the "Vulcan" or the "women". He therefore kept the "Vulcan" and married the "women" - later to be Nurse Christine Chapel.

oh, my kids would be so proud at my geekiness :D

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  6. BosonMichael

Mine are too young to be proud of geekiness yet... but I'll take pictures so they can look back and see how geeky their dad was: I'm going to wear my Star Trek: TNG uniform for Halloween. [​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Cant wait. :D:D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  8. greenbrucelee

One thing thats always puzzled me BM is that here in the UK kids dress up a witches and ghosts (something spooky anyway) and in the US people dress up as anything and I wondered why?

I had a friend who lived in a a city called boulder in Colorado and I went to visit one halloween and was quite amazed at how many people Adults and kids dressed up and there were all sorts of costumes. Nancy my friend was dress as a french maid and her friends were dressed as wrestlers.

You dont get that over here its just witches and goblins and just kids.

You would never see anyone dressed in a Star Trek outfit. :blink

9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

You sure that was for Halloween and not some Kinky swingers party they were dressing up for?????? :twisted:

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The original tradition was to dress up in a scary costume on All Hallows Eve because the spirits would be about and you might fool them into thinking they were one of you and they'd leave you alone.

In the US, it's morphed into the largest, organized costume party in the world. Lots of kids and plenty of adults dress up in costume and party hardy.

Back to the original topic, yes I know it was Majel Barrett that played the unemotional, cerebral Number One. When Roddenbury had to get rid of her character, he just transferred her character traits to Spock.

I've been a fan of the original series since it was first launched in the Fall of 1966 and have studied up on the history, trivia, and the like. A lot of past and future history was written during the original series that was followed hit and miss in the subsequent Star Trek series. For instance, during the original Earth/Romulan wars in the late 22nd century, ships didn't have view screens so only voice communication was possible. That's why during the episode "Balance of Terror" in the first season of the original series, no one knew that Romulans looked like Vulcans until Spock locked on to the bridge of the Romulan vessel and got an image of its commander (played by Mark Lenard who later went on to portray Sarek, Spock's father). Yet in the series Star Trek: Enterprise (set in the mid 22nd century), the prototype starship Enterprise had a view screen and visual communication was possible. Go figure.

11. BosonMichael

Yep... I'm not too concerned about evil spirits assaulting me. Rather, they should worry about me assaulting THEM! :twisted:

Perhaps there were budget cuts in the Federation during Kirk's time, and view screens were too expensive. :p

12. greenbrucelee

Thanks for clearing it up Trip

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

14. greenbrucelee

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Probably because Nimoy isn't a pompous arse and Shatner is. :rolleyes::oops::biggrin

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/26/people.williamshatner.ap/index.html

16. BosonMichael

"I mean... how could they reject ME, Denny Crane? Everybody loves Denny Crane!"

Uh... Bill... wrong character...

...Bill... Bill?

...good Lord, he's BECOME Denny Crane! :ohmy