new software config?

Discussion in 'Software' started by moominboy, Sep 7, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

i read an article somewhere about changing some configs in windows, can't remember what it's called, but it's so you can choose which config to use at login i think. so that you can play games without all the unnecessary crap running in the background? don't know how to describe it better but basically i want to play my games with all the cpu's attention? any links would be great and much appreciated. ta! ;)

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Not sure if this is what you mean but it sound like you want to control the programs that load a boot. Go to Start -> Run and type "msconfig" (without the quotes) and click OK. That should give you a start. Also see if this link helps:

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. moominboy

no it wasn't that trip, mate. i meant set-up different profiles that you have a choice of when booting?
    such as for gaming i only need graphics,sound and all the available ram/cpu time. but for normal use i'd have another profile that would allow everyday use.

i read the article in computeractive a few months ago and can't find it on the site or the mag it was from.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The only thing that I'm aware of is hardware profiles, this is where you specify what hardware gets loaded when Windoze boots up.

Dont think that you can specify what programs get priority though.

If you want to set programs to run with a higher priority than others though go into task manager, click on the processes tab, then right click the process you want to set the priority for, I think it's self explanitory from there.

8)

5. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

I had a small batch file that you could run that would kill all processes that you didnt need and then another to start them all when i had finished playing games

Only problem is cant find it now on another machine at home somewhere :oops:

think it was pskill or something like that

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Here you go!!!

:p

7. moominboy

yep hardware profiles was the one i was thinking of but im going to give pskill a try too. cheers folks! :D