New Service Desk team lead job - advise?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Zergling, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Zergling

Zergling New Member

Hi all I have frequented this board for many years and I just need a bit of advise. I have a new job for the new year yey :) I will be a team lead/senior for a small service desk team in higher education.

I have never been a team lead so a bit anxious in that respect. Does anyone have any advise for that the first team lead job? How to go about your first junior management job and how to go about making changes in the 'right' way.

Thanks all.

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Where about is the job? Is the job in Leicester by any chance?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Are you new to the team or have you been promoted from within?

I wouldn't go in all guns blazing, watch how things are done, watch the processes and look for improvements. Talk with the team and see if you can gain any insight into what they don't like or find annoying about any processes or work flows and then look at how you can make improvements.

Good communication will always help with change and making the team members feel part of the change process will help make the transition go smoother.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
    Beerbaron and Sparky like this.
  4. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

take this as a learning experience,

since this is your first time being a lead or a team leader learn as much as you can its ok you will make mistakes along the way,

my advice is don't have a ego, respect your workers, treat them good and be up for the challenge :)

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said don’t go in all guns blazing. If you keep the staff happy your job will be so much easier…

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Having moved in to a management position in the last six months here are some nuggets for you.

1. You are part of a team, don't take on all the work yourself, delegate, that's what management is about.
    2. Trust your team to do the work they are assigned, don't micro manage them.
    3. Explain to them exactly what it is you want them to do, show them if you have to and then explain to them that if they can't do the job to let you know so that it can be rectified.
    4. Hold regular one2one meetings with staff as well as team meetings, sometimes people won't tell you things in a group that they will tell you in more personal meetings.
    5. Earn their respect, if that means working the Xmas holiday period because your colleagues booked the time off before you did then so be it (yes, I am that manager, working over Xmas and NY because my staff beat me to it).
    6. Learn from them and your peers, see how they do things because it might just be the right thing they are doing.
    7. Finally enjoy it, it's a new string to your bow and you will have lots of different things happen, learn from those experiences because they make you a better manager.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    SimonV likes this.
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Another one that I used to use was to start work before the rest of the team members and leave after them, even if it's literally minutes after them.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...