New, Refurbished or "Kit" laptops?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, May 29, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

As you probably know by now, you can buy a the base model of the Dell Inspiron laptop with Ubuntu loaded for around $600 (after $200 "instant rebate").

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

While that's a pretty good price, I was wondering (since I can get the Ubuntu install disk for free) if anyone sold just laptop hardware with no OS installed at all. I know you can buy PC hardware kits but haven't seen a laptop equivalent. My old laptop suffered from LCD death and would probably be more expensive to repair than it's worth. I had my data backed up before the display went toes up, so I'm ok there. Does anyone have any ideas along these lines?

I know that since I'm in the US and most of you aren't this question might not do me much good here, but what the heck. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry Trip but it looks like you might have to buy a laptop with OS. I don't think I've seen any pc/laptop being sold without one.

We don't seem to have a market for kit laptops either so I guess this isn't any help whatsoever.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685