New player in IT

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by shadowlazarus, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Myrrdin

Myrrdin New Member

To qualify for a career development loan, your learning provider has to be registered with the learning and skills council (LSC). I believe this is all that matters from the banks point of view.

This suggests that Joskos has temporarily or permanently lost its registration...

This isn't necessarily due to educational standards - it can be due to things like the learning provider filling in the CDL forms for its students in order to 'fast track' the loan process. The bank notices multiple requests in the same handwriting, reports this to the LSC, and immediately all loan requests are provisionally declined until the organisation proves that it has changed its policies.

WIP: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCDBA
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Never mind.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. shadowlazarus

shadowlazarus Bit Poster

Ok....

So I'm not going with Joskos anymore. Thanks to everyone here and threads on techrepublic.

Was thinking now of college or university programs....anybody know a reputable school to train under?

The IT guy from work trained under Interquad. I'm not sure now of any school to be honest. it just seems they're all con artists. :cry:

Kinda at my wits ends here but will keep on looking.... :(

WIP: A+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, PHP & MySQL
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Quite literally, ROFLMAO.

Joskos calling other companies 'cowboys'? Thats the best example of irony I've seen for quite some time.

:joker

Interquad are pretty decent - I did my ITIL and Juniper training with them. Very professional, and they seem to deal mainly in training people actually already working in the industry - a sure sign they're not as 'cowboyesque' as other organisations IMHO.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Handyman

Handyman Bit Poster

I hear many things about IQ through the industry but as they are 'rumours' I would not repeat them here.

What I will say is that they have no problems slating the competition , even going so far as to email clients stating that we are not accredited to deliver ITIL training. Something that we never do, peer competition gives a healthy market but slating the competiton rubs off on you as well.

110 sales guys in a call centre, how many of them will understand what they are selling?

As for career development loans try here http://princes-trust.org.uk/main si...ts for jobs and training/are you eligible.asp . This is the Princes Trust Devlelopment Award for those aged 14-25 and 'might' be able to provide some cash towards training.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, BTEC Nat Computing
    WIP: CCNA
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

OK mate, like I said, I've used them for training provided by work and found them OK, but never dealt with their sales people, so can't comment on that score.

However, i will say, in their defence, that they have managed to attract one of the best people I have ever trained under to their staff from another company (I bumped into him when i was doing my ITIL training), which can only be a plus sign for them.

Like I said though, as I've never dealt with their sales staff, it might be an entirely different prospect altogether when you deal with them 'privately'.

Incidentally - does your signature conform to the forum rules related to advertising?

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Zeb, the staff are aware and have decided to let it ride in it's current form for now.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Cheers Pete - I got the heads-up earlier from the mods, so fair enough!

9. Handyman

Handyman Bit Poster

I did run it past them 1st. It's a genuine offer.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, BTEC Nat Computing
    WIP: CCNA
  10. shadowlazarus

shadowlazarus Bit Poster

I suppose there will always be a bad reference from someone relating to any company for personal reasons.

I've heard the name interquad a few times now so i'm in the process of contacting them to try sort something out. Short of that just win the lotto. :p

It is really frustrating but I guess that's why IT professionals get paid so much, cause they go through all these hoops just to get anywhere so they deserve the money. :biggrin

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Whoa there! who told you that us lot get paid lots? :ohmy

12. Justin Credible

Justin Credible New Member

Hi there shadowlazarus. Not sure if this will be any use, but I've just been looking into Advent courses - it's expensive (nearly 5k) and have been mulling it over for a while, and also reading the threads on this site and decidied to go with them. Have just been approved for a CDL through Barclays, just waiting for the confirmation pack. The CDL's only cover 80% of the course fees leaving you a further £900+ to fork out, but they ask if you need to borrow any more to cover "course materials", so you can request the rest to cover this amount. It's a lot to pay out, but when they say you gotta spend money to make money - I'm just hoping they're right!!:dry

Certifications: NONE
    WIP: MCSE
  13. shadowlazarus

shadowlazarus Bit Poster

Well, looking at various IT jobs sites I can see the huge earnings of some people like £60K and I know the IT guy at work gets a lot too but don't know how much but it's probably like £40K. :eek:

You not getting megabucks there? :oops:

For the record: I'm not trying to get into IT for the money. Ok...maybe a little but it's a coll job to do and I'm genuinely interested in how it all works. :twisted:

14. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Anyone earning that money will have bags of experience and/or be qualified up the eyeballs. For a first job in IT I reckon £15,000 is a good start.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Did you read the job description? It will probably ask for at least 5 years experience in a senior IT role and list a few certs.

If you are happy about working for little money when you first gain employment in IT then you will fit right in! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. shadowlazarus

shadowlazarus Bit Poster

Hmmm....

Yeah....It takes a couple of years to reach those kinds of earnings I guess. I can stick it out. :P

Ooh. I've decided to study with the London College.
    www.london-college.com

I'm still playing around with the idea a little but they make no promises as such. You just get taught by a COLLEGE and not a dodgy company and finding a job is up to you in the end. :blink

17. shadowlazarus

shadowlazarus Bit Poster

Gaah! I'm 24 in like 4 days time! Where is my life going?! Have to change my age in this profile thing now.... :cry:

I feel old. :blink

Random post. Deal with it. :P

18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You aint old, Im getting too close to 30, arrrgh! :cry:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. shadowlazarus

shadowlazarus Bit Poster

Hmmm... 30 is a big one but you still got a few years left before you get there. :p

Just party it up and by the time you're sober again you'll be 43! hehe

20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - 33 in less than a week - you lot have got some catching up to do...