New PC for my father in law

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Bambino1506, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Hello there

My father in law needs a new pc, got between £700-800 to spend on it, now the thing I'm having to think about is whether to buy it with XP or Vista installed....

I'm hearing mixed stuff about vista and he's got a very decent photoprinter that I want to work on his new machine without a lot of frigging about....but I'm also thinking spending £800 on a new machine still running xp is a waste ! and installing Vista ontop at a later date is going to effect performance.

Any opinons guys ? Thanku.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  2. b00g13

b00g13 New Member

Never worked on Vista myself, but some of my friends are and i have mixed feelings. First of all - in my opinion its not settled yet; not all hardware has dedicated drivers, not all software (inc. games) is working properly http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List. Second - (again, in my opinion) performance on Vista is not what is suppose to be, all that fancy widgets, compiz-like effects and so on, theyre not exactly performance friendly (another thing is all that DRM controll, thats a funny performance thingie). Of course, buying computer with a budget of 800 quid can take that problem off your back, but still...

Also, if thats a thing that is important for you, google http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista#External_links a bit for informations about vista contacting with ms servers in the background and all kinds of copy protection stuff its using. For me personally it would be too much too think about.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Windows_Vista

I heard an opinion that all who have a choice should wait untill service pack arrives, and thats sounds like a good advice.

But after all, I'm not a windows user, so it's possible that i see Vista through my Linux glasses :duel ;)

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+ Network+
  3. bowulf

bowulf Bit Poster

If you were thinking Vista Business or Ultimate OEM verisons, you would have downgrade rights to run XP on the box until Vista shakes itself out. (http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=543 of search Vista downgrade rights on Google) That might be the best of both worlds.

Certifications: Master CNE,VCP,MCSE,MCSA,MCTS,TICSA,CCNA
    WIP: ITIL, MCITP-W2K8 (EA)
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would stick to XP for the next little while. While I am using vista ultimate at home right now, I still think that for day to day tasks XP is better and more stable.

With that said, make sure that when you buy the computer that is upgradeable in the future, and that it can run vista smoothly.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Why bother buying? with that kind of cash you could build a very high spec machine. As for the XP or Vista debate, Personally I'd stick with XP for a while (buy a copy, only £60), put it on its own partition with NTFS, and then at a later date you could install Vista without affecting the data on the rest of the machine. :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the photoprinter compatible with Vista?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Bambino1506

Thanks for the input guys.

I can't build him a system because he wants one with warranty and I don't have time to build and support it.

I've gone for one with vista mainly because I couldn't actually buy a new system with XP lol.

Its a decent system with good core 2 duo processor and plenty of space for upgrades.

Sparky mate I am going to have to hope the printer is vista compatable, its a fairly new printer so I'm hoping it is.

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

if the printer is about 1yr old it should install on Vista no problem. i have had my printer for over 3 yrs and it installed on Vista no problem. Just download the latest drivers for it and all should be fine. shame you couldnt get a machine built for him. Hope he likes the one you got him anyway :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. Bambino1506

Thanks Noel, its under 2 years old so fingers crossed will be ok.

would have LOVED to build the system but hey

10. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have you had a look on the printer manufacturers website to see if they have vista drivers for the printer?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

no probs running vista so far
    5 machines running it, combined uptime of over 1 year now

not a single blue screen, all my hardware has been detected on both the x32 and x64 versions, some driver updates were required which was something i knew was likely being an early adopter anyway

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

My brand new laptops running vista, its not too bad in general when you get used to it but I am running new hardware. Some of my drivers are a bit flaky, unfortunately DELL doesn't seem to give a toss about providing an update for the graphics driver and NVidia doesn't provide integrated drivers.

Had a couple of BSOD, laptop rebooted ok though with little issues.

Some programs downgrade the display or require run as administrator. This can be pretty anoying especially in a command line, especially when you ARE an administrator ! :eek: Theres are work arounds however.

Theres various issues with various programs, some codecs can cause issues viewing folders with video in, you get a bizzare COM surrogate error.
    Some of the error messages try to be overly helpful and end up being just plain wrong.

Uninstalling badly written installers can be interesting because of the new special system/install account.

I can't really see anything to justify all the years of development, maybe the administration or the .Net stuff is better, the new AERO look and feel is nice but not really any big deal, the readyboost idea is cool but hardly revolutionary, some of the search changes are useful like the start search. You will still need a seperate program to search inside archives.

Thats about it really...

13. Bambino1506

Thanks guys, very reassuring.

Raf, I can't even remember the make and model of the printer so I am going to have to check all that out while i'm there and have the system up and running.

This will be my first look at vista, so quite excited really, sad aren't I :biggrin :p

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

No comment :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009