1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC Build Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by big-jme, Nov 17, 2008.

1. big-jme

big-jme Bit Poster

Hi eveyone,
    I'm looking for some advice on building a new PC. I unfortunately lost my old one in a fire 2 weeks ago and have a budget of £500 to put towards a new one. I'm looking for a desktop PC preferably including a monitor but can consider it without. A big limitation I have is that i'm restricted to buying the PC / components from PC World. I know, I wouldn't usually go there either but when a friend heard about the fire he gave me £500 of vouchers he'd just won at work to put towards a new system. I'm perfectly happy to look at building my own system if I can get the right components etc. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

BIG-JME

Certifications: CIW Associate
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

While I am a big fan of building PCs I think in your case you will get more machine for your money by purchasing a pre-built one off the shelf. The price of components in PC World is ridiculous, not to mention the limited choice. You can probably get a deal on a PC with a C2D, 2 or 4GB of RAM, monitor, keyboard et al for £500.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would agree with NightWalker PC world is a rip off for components you would be best just to buy a computer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yep! what he said above, would also get a base unit from PC world that's of a high to medium range. Best wishes and lets know what you decide:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  6. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Sorry I did not realise you can only buy from pc world with voucher, I think you better off buying from a pc or laptop as most are expensive but if you do then you are better off buying pc world online as they are cheaper than buying in the store.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Some of their web prices (not all) are cheaper than in store prices. Easiest way to do it, is use the collect @ store feature. Order online (and hopefully get a better price) then pick collect @ store, and you get a reservation number which you take to your local store.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Yeap, couldn't agree more with all the comments already posted, that said good luck with your new build mate.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+