New old codger @ scheidegger

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by bri, Dec 20, 2004.

1. bri

bri New Member

Hi everyone, my first time here.
    I bought a course {through a finance company} £1600.
    PC repair etc.TIA A+.with Scheidegger.
    Although I've learned a lot of useful stuff I've become increasingly aware that the course is very dated and the tutors seem to be tied closely to answering course only subjects.
    After ploughing through how to load Win3x (YES 3 flippin 1 to 11) amongst similar useless stuff, I 'mailed a query to the tutors as to the maximum partition size restrictions of FAT32 as being 32gig but I'm at present running XP loaded on FAT32 on a 40gig HDD with 1 active partition, could they explain the annomoly{spelt wrong or what?}.
    After a week {can immagine the panic."what do we tell him??is there a HDD greater than 1gig??is our world ending??"}
    I got an evasive reply that they could not answer as they could not be responsible for my losing any data by changing my partition.(am I being told I'm unable to back up and reload??? then whats the point of what they've taught me up to now ?).
    I'm starting to feel that although I've learned a lot on the course,most of it I could have learned on the net to supplement what I knew already and that I may as well plough on but without wasting any more money on paying for more tuition.
    Lets face it, I've been ripped off.
    [email protected]

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, bri. Welcome to Certforums.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. bri

bri New Member

Ta mate, first forum I've been on, please bear with me as I make my posting errors and faux par's {spelt wrong AGAIN??} :biggrin

4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to Cerftforums Bri, do they still include wfw 3.11 in the A+??????? :blink

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Welcome to the forums Bri. I can't remember anything in the A+ referring to win 3.x at all. Strange.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to the Forums, take a good look around the place and if your not sure about anything just ask. Speak to you soon. Si :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Welcome aboard mate :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Bri - welcome to CF. Good luck with your studies :D

Can't say I remember anything but the merest reference to Windows 3.1 when I did the A+ a while back.

Still, chin up mate :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome on board the good ship CF. Glad you coud join us. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Welcome, and just to add to what the others have said, only very brief reference to win 3.1 in my A+ book aswell.

Welcome to Certforums mate

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum Bri :biggrin

In their defence and acting as devils advocate, I would say that you would learn more about how an OS works from the ground up by installing and configuring Windows 3.11 than XP. I learned most of what I know now using Windows 3.11. XP, with it's super easy plug and play often requires little or no configuration, so what do you learn by running the install wizard? Not a lot really.

You will indeed come across anomalies (sp?) from time to time and one reason will be that certain configurations are not recommended or supported but it doesn't always mean they won't work at all.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Excellent point well-made, Pete.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. gungladin

gungladin New Member

Hi Bri,

How are you getting along with your Scheidegger Course. I started the web design course and like you I have noticed that the course work is out of date, and that the certificates that they offer are not internationally recognised like they tell you, nor are the exams paid for nor is the one on one tution anything like they suggest. I think that you are right, we have been ripped off. Do you want to do something about it contact me at: [email protected].

Together we can make a difference :thumbleft