Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Crai8088, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Crai8088

Crai8088 New Member

Hi All,

I have joined your forum after searching for information on Computrain-UK and Training Providers for the purpose of learning ECDL/A+/N+/MCDST/MCSA/MCSE.

After reading quite alot of information regarding this method of learning and quite alot of negative feedback, I have decided that I would at least give a Training provider (Computrain-Uk) a go.

I do not have any prior background in IT, except from building my own Websites, and working for an online games company, so my IT Knowledge is not complete beginner. Yes I know what you must be thinking that I do not have the required experience to take the Certs, but non the less it is something that I wish to do if more for the knowledge than for a "Career Change".

I know that it is also alot of money, £2750 + £600 Exam costs to be precise, but still I wish to give this a try and will be paying in monthly instalments.

I have decided to give this go and plan on using this forum for help, advice and general chit chat from time to time, and quite possible to leave my negative / positive feedback of using a training provider rather than Self Study as seems to be so much advised on here :p

I have actually always been more of an experience person rather than a qualification person when it comes to applying for jobs, so no I wont expect any high paid jobs or even any jobs past support (maybe) after finishing these, since Support is mainly what I do wish to be doing and do have experience in. So you don't have to worry about an under experienced person plugging a few certs in order to obtain employment :twisted:

Anyway's just thought I would make a posting now and let myself be known, I wouldn't want to be called a spammer or what not in 12+ months time when I am posting of my Positive / Negative feedback :D

So perhaps you can wish Good Luck to a person who is jumping in blindfolded, hands tied, and cannot swim :oops:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, you're also tying a couple of concrete blocks around your ankles with the MCSA and MCSE. Those are certifications designed for people who have more than 6 months (or 12 months for the MCSE) of real-world server administration experience in a multi-site, multi-server domain environment. Neither certification relates to entry-level jobs, so having them on your CV can actually make it MORE difficult to get an entry-level job, not less difficult.

But... the training provider wasn't going to tell you that... they were obviously out to soak you for as much money as they could. If they weren't, they'd have sold you a training package that covered only certifications that are relevant to entry-level tech work.

Welcome to the forums.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Crai8088

Crai8088 New Member

Well so far I have not paid a penny, the deposit is due to be paid next week, having said that I did also decide that I would not be put off from my decision, although maybe deep down I am hoping that does happen :rolleyes:

Perhaps taking the MCSA and MCSE off would be more appropriate? I am not fully sure what you mean when you state it can make it more difficult to gain a job? So long as I was only applying for a position that I could actually do, I mean I do know that a qualification does not always mean that you can do a job.

5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The problem is many employers at entry level will flick through your CV see the MCSA/E and immediatly decide your overqualified and likely to jump ship at the first sign of something better, conversely employers for jobs higher up the ladder will see the experience isn't there to back the certs up and again your CV gets carefully filed in the nearest bin.

Oh, and welcome btw :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. Crai8088

Crai8088 New Member

Yes I suppose I could see how that could be done, I did mean by taking the MCSE and MCSA off by not taking those Certs altogether not simply missing them from my C.v :p

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

welcome

Just beaware that the TP isn't going to say what certs are right and what certs are wrong thats why this place exsists.

No IT manager or director of a good company will hire someone with certs like the MCSA,MCSE and CCNA without the relevant on the job experience (messing about in your bedroom doesn't count as experience btw) so it's best just to stick with certs that will make you look more attractive to an employer and certs that should get you a foothold on your career. These certs are: A+,N+ and the MCDST

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Crai8088

Crai8088 New Member

Ok so you would recommend just sticking to these 3 Certs for now? or a complete beginner? A+/N+/MCDST? What about ECDL? Needed or not?

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes, you could do the ECDL if you want but you wont learn about tech stuff in it. All you will learn is how to use word, excel etc etc. Knowing how to these is good if you want to be a power user but thats about where it ends.

The A+ focuses on hardware and operating systems, whilst the N+ focuses on Networking basics and the MCDST focuses on supporting windows xp and troubleshooting applications that run on xp.

And btw you don't have to go with a TP you can self study, i.e get the books yourself, practice and then book and take the exams yourself you will save yourself £££££££££s but I am a big advocate of self study if you want to use a TP then do so.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Crai8088

Crai8088 New Member

Ok I will take your advice on board and not study towards an MCSE / MCSA I am aware of the Self Study route, however I do have a tendency to get easily distracted which is why I thought a TP would be better for me, I have just advised my TP that I do not wish to do the MCSE/ MSCA Certs and to find a more suitable option for me, lets see what happens with that and whether or not they still try to take a deposit next week :twisted:

11. BosonMichael

Hey, if you really don't mind spending a bunch of money on training, there's no reason for me to put you off of your decision. I simply give you the options at your disposal and the pros/cons of each one and allow you to make your own decision. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. BosonMichael

If you have to be coerced into studying on someone else's schedule, perhaps IT isn't the right field for you. After all, if you plan on succeeding in IT, these won't be the last certifications you pursue - it's a never-ending process. What's gonna happen a couple years down the line when it's time to get more certifications? Your employer isn't likely to give you paid time off to take an expensive training class... they're going to expect you to stay on top of your career field, often on your own time and at your own expense. So at some point, you're gonna have to learn how to self study if you want to succeed in IT. Better sooner rather than later, in my opinion.

I'm not saying that you should bail on IT... I simply give you food for thought.

If you've already signed an agreement and outside the cancellation window, it's a fair bet that they'll go ahead and take whatever you've agreed to.

13. scarletsfever

scarletsfever New Member

Hi, I joined up to CF this morning. I too looked at TPs as the way to get accreditation and visited one yesterday.
    After the meeting I thought I would research them and find if they were good, hence finding this forum. I've now decided against using a TP and will self study instead - yay, go me.

My missus is happy to as it will save me a lot of money :biggrin

Thanks for the advice I read. Crai8088, I hope it works out well whatever you decide.

WIP: MCDST, A+
  14. Crai8088

Crai8088 New Member

Yes I am aware of that, what I meant by very easily distracted is that if I start on one project I often start another without finishing the first. In which case a Study Structure would be better for me rather than sitting down with books etc.

If I was to self study I would have to take note of everything that I need to study and then set out a specific plan and time scale as to when that needs to be studied. I have always been self taught and tend to learn as I go.

Nothing has been signed and considering I only got "Accepted" for the course today it is way inside the cancellation window, they have been notified via Email as well as they will receive a telephone call tomorrow from me confirming that they have received the written notification, as such any attempt to take funds would basically be theft/ fraud since they have no consent to do so.

15. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Mate dont go with Computrain it was the worst thing I have ever done and I am currently dragging them through court. You may decide to take a chance however but its up to you. There just out for your money and will provide you with illegal material (BrainDumps) and lack of material which will end up in you purchasing more books for yourself.

If want a reason when they ring up hassling for your full payment, feel free to say David Beaumont advised me not too as I am dealing day in day out with Keith the manager :twisted:.

Hope it all goes well for you mate in self study or a TP. Dont be fooled as there are some TP's out there that deserve some credit and will do a good job. just do your research first mate.

Dave :D

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  16. Crai8088

Crai8088 New Member

I have heard quite alot about Computrain however same with every company, some people have good experiences and others bad that is just the way business works. I actually found speaking to Keith quite pleasant was never pushy and answered all my questions as well as prompt and polite.

I think I will wait and see if Computrain can offer me any sort of training package without the MCSA / MCSE as I have not found one on there course list or in the material provided to me. If not perhaps I will try the self study route since this forum is indeed very useful and seems to be full of helpful members :p

17. beaumontdvd

Fair enough mate each to there own :biggrin. Oh so you spoke to Keith too then? Dont be fooled into how nice the sales advisor is, as after all your purchasing a service off them and you expect them to carry out that service to how they have detailed. Also look on google maps streetview at how big Computrain are it has a nice picture they made out to me they are a big company but really there no bigger than your local post office. Hope it goes well for you mate.

Have a look :twisted:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=74+Woodside+Green,+Croydon,+Greater+London+SE25+5,+United+Kingdom&sll=-37.841135,144.932656&sspn=0.007032,0.013711&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=74+Woodside+Green,+Croydon,+Greater+London+SE25+5,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.389593,-0.069995&spn=0.011114,0.027423&z=15&iwloc=A>
    Click the suggestion in blue on the left then streetview.

Dave

18. Crai8088

Crai8088 New Member

Your link seemed to take me to Australia :rolleyes: however I did find what you mean: Computrain

It does seem to make the company look very fishy indeed, especially since I too was made to think that the company was quite big, I mean with Keith having to take my C.v to the Guys upstairs, not to mention the Finance Guy that is upstairs then you have the training tutors and admin etc. Little office for all them people, it looks more like a converted house :blink

19. beaumontdvd

Sorry mate I changed it after :biggrin yep. That happend to me aswell. I was lead to believe they had a large sister company called Compucareers. Which is proberly part of that office. As when I have rang Keith also answers to "Hello Compucareers" So yeah. But saying that I checked on Google maps a few weeks back and the windows were not dimmed out and it looked open compared to now. So to be honest im not sure how quick Googlw refresh there streetview but it has def changed. Not sure if its because I have that address for the warrent of execution. Anyway mate its upto you im just saying that I don't want anyone to go through the amount of hassle I have had with them. Its easier to do it by yourself like I have.

Dave,

20. BosonMichael

Like I said, if you're that easily distracted, then how do you plan to thrive in a career field where you will be expected to learn things on your own without being distracted? If you can't choose to study without the burden of feeling like you're gonna "waste" the money you spent on the TP if you don't go to the courses, then do you really have the drive to succeed in IT? That's my point.

If you want a study structure, dude, I'm sure one or more of us here can create one for you. You don't need to pay thousands to a training provider for that.