Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by beanyboy, May 13, 2009.

1. beanyboy

beanyboy New Member

Hi guys & gals

i'm beanyboy i'm a recent I.T graduate struggling to find a job I will be racking your brains and calling on your experiences for career guidance and advice in the very near future :D

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Hi Beanyboy - welcome to the forums, what area of IT are you hoping to get into?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Welcome aboard!

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to CF!! :)

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  8. beanyboy

beanyboy New Member

Hi Gingerdave thanks for the warm welcome, I'm pretty open minded about what area of IT to enter I would be open to networking, programming, helpdesk support, web design, analyst work, database admin. Anything really I'm currently struggling to find employment I live in the north west and I'm just trying to get on the bottom rung of the ladder to start working my way up. I'm contemplating whether or not I should pursue a Microsoft Certificate to boost my career prospects.

9. Gingerdave

Open minded is good, but if you want certification to help you get a job as they are normally aimed along a "track" so the one for web design is not the same as the one for a Network Admin, which is not the same as the one for a Database Admin which is not the same as a Programmer.

One way is to look at what your current experiance is, even if it is I built my PC at home, or my family use me for tech support, or I did some programming at A level, and then build on that experiance.

So I suppose the next question is - whats your IT back ground?

10. beanyboy

beanyboy New Member

11. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

With your experience I would look at A+, network+ (to porve competance in basic IT skills), the MCDST (for MS based skills) and maybe ITIL foundation (or a similar soft skills cert to show good methodolagy), this should get you on a helpdesk/on site support role, ideally look at small to medium size businesses as these type of roles will help build up your experience quickly due to the involvement and variation in challenge.

A support role may not sound glamorous, but will be a good step on the ladder, hopefully you will find a company that will be willing to progress you over time, obviously the ball is in your court then to show the willingness and aptitude to progess.

Good luck!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  12. Gingerdave

Damn good advice. Beany what you are doing for your friends and family is effectively 1st line support =, so I wouldn't knock it. From your description it sounds like you are most easily going to transition into a network support role, with time, so try the rout the kevicho laid out above.

Good Luck!

13. beanyboy

beanyboy New Member

cool sounds good, thanks for the advice kevicho and gingerdave much appreciated :D

14. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Hello beanyboy, any idea how other people on your course are getting on with finding jobs?

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  15. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to the Forum.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  16. beanyboy

beanyboy New Member

one student is carrying on his studies to become a I.T school teacher, one student was given a job in his dad's company one got into a graduate job role where training is provided and the others that I have kept in touch with are still looking for a job in the I.T sector. I believe getting Microsoft certified would have been more useful than going to university if only I would have known this 3 years ago lol. Although I think once a graduate has some commercial experience under their belt that the degree will then come into play for applying to the higher salary jobs.

that's just my optimistic theory though :D

17. Gingerdave

Experience is always the key player in this industry and why people with High level M$ certs and little or no experiance get passed over (or at least they should). Pretty much any experiance you can get will be beneficial as something you can point to and say - I have done this.

18. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to the Forum.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  19. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Ive seen quite a few jobs in London that want an IT graduate with 1-2 years experience, so im sure your degree will help future job prospects. Just get as much experience as you can.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA