Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by SuperSaint John, May 28, 2008.

1. SuperSaint John

SuperSaint John New Member

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am studying to complete the two A+ exams 220-601 & 220-602 via Learn Direct.
    Once those are out of the way I have several other exams to face. I have plenty of time at the moment as I am unemployed. Having started in computing in the 70's with a VIC20 and progressed up (self taught) I now find that firms want the bit a paper that says I know what I am talking about rather than trusting my 30 years experience.

John

WIP: A+ Certification
  2. videoman

videoman Bit Poster

Hi John
    Hi and welcome, I am also new to this forum and have picked up lots of useful information already.
    I am at present considering which is the best way to study for my A+ and whether to go down the self study route or use a training provider.

I also have plenty of time on my hands as I took voluntary redundancy nearly two years ago and moved to Tenerife but we will be returning to the UK at the end of next month for three months then back to Tenerife for six months over winter.

I would imagine we are of a similar age if you started computing in the 70's as many of the other people on this forum were not born then.
    Regards
    Alan

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to the Forum

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That'd be a trick; the VIC-20 was released in January of '81: link :biggrin

I had one as well... and I loved it!

Do you have 30 years in IT, or 30 years of messing around with computers? When I started in IT 10 years ago, my 18 years of "messing around with computers", and 6 years as the "go-to guy" for computer stuff in the office meant little to employers - it's not considered "experience". That said, once I got started, that knowledge enabled me to advance quickly, so your years of computer learning aren't all for naught. The knowledge is relevant... but it's not the same as "business IT experience".

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!