New Member, well sort of

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by blue83, Aug 5, 2010.

1. blue83

blue83 New Member

Hi, thought i'd introduce myself (again) as a new member, actually im tysfoot but for some reason the administrators of the forum arn't gettting my request to ask for a reset password so i had this account registered in error when i first registered with tysfoot. Ive got loads of email addreses so i think i forgot which one my tysfoot account is registered with, ohh well ill stick with this one :D

Im Gary 27 From Manchester , UK and i started with the Comptia A+ cert last year and passed and now working towards my Comptia N+ and a little bit of MCDST

I have no experience of any I.T but i have the desire to try and break into I.T as so many people do but as i know and as i found out on this forum, its very very hard to get your first job and get your foot on the ladder

Well i have had the most incredible amount of luck, as i was about half way though my N+ cert i was confident enough to apply for some 1st line support roles but before i did a mate of mine who works as a manger at a accident management company said that there might be a I.T techs job avaliable and a few weeks later i got an interview, the interview was very laid back and informal and i was just chatting about what im capable of and where i'd like to be in 5 years and beggers belief i got the job as I.T support technican.

There best bit about it is that there willing to train me up on the job and send me to college, possibly CCNA and VoIP, there salery is compettitive for what ill be doing and ill be starting in about 2 to 3 weeks.

I have read on there countless of times that people trying to break into the industry and applying for over 50 jobs without getting an interview so i feel very lucky i landed this job and i wont let this opportunity slip away.

The only slight worry about the job is that i dont have any experience in I.T, only reading books etc and my mate who got me the job there said that i will be the only person there who will be I.T savvy if you will. Basically i will be the only I.T support tech in the building out of about 90 people who work for the company. My duty's will be to assist the mangers with trivial I.T stuff like setting up phones, computers and printers, general A+ things like setting up accounts and troubleshooting various things but if i ever get stuck we have a third party company we get help from to help with larger issues

My question is, is this possible ? will i be out of my depth do you think, being the only I.T support guy in the building with no hand on expoerince, i think i will be ok, so does my freind who is the manager there who got me the job

Im sure when i start the job ill be on here everyday asking for advice but ill let you know how i get on from day to day

chow for now :D

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+, MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome (back)!

Depends on the responsibilities, but the only way to know for sure is to try. If your Google-Fu is strong, and you focus on providing good support to the end user, you'll likely do well. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome back to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I think this is a great opportunity. Sometimes it does get challenging and a little nerve wracking, but that is the only way to get real world experience and learning something new. There has been many time in my career that I was given projects that I didn't know how to do so I would just bite the bullet and go for it.

Welcome to CF and don't worry I am sure you'll do well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like a great opportunity. Give it your all and welcome back to the CF!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple