New member finally trying to get serious about IT career

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by maggotfude, Aug 25, 2012.

1. maggotfude

maggotfude New Member

Hi all. I've been in IT on and off for the last 12 years, though I never went for any certifications. Now that I've found that IT is where I want my career to go, I'm trying to get more serious about it. My focus has been in system support functions, creating infrastructure strategies for very small businesses, and a little web work. I want to go more into system admin, but the more I look at trends the more it looks like a declining field.

A little more about me in general. I live in the Eastern region of the US, my degree is in Political Science (really helpful for a career in IT, huh?), and I'm in my 40's so I'm no spring chicken.

This looks like a great place and I look forward to learning a lot and hopefully adding my experience to the collective.

2. mackie

mackie Nibble Poster

Hi

I don't think there is anything stopping you becoming serious about your career in I.T. You have a load of experience behind you and it wouldn't do any harm to invest in a couple of certifications.

I am in my 50's and have mainly worked in retail but have also a very small accounting business. I think there is definitely a market in mixing that with I.T. I think it is a case of making things fit. Do you think you might be able to do some self employed work to get you in the right direction?

Best of luck

Robert

Certifications: IAB, Sage 50, MOUS and MCP
    WIP: A+
  3. maggotfude

maggotfude New Member

Thanks. Good luck with your accounting business, sounds like a great idea to add value.

4. Cholmondley-O'McTurk

Cholmondley-O'McTurk New Member

Hello there!

I am also in my forties and am not yet in IT! I have few certifications, but...

Welcome to the forum !

5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...