New Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AndyR, Aug 28, 2009.

1. AndyR

AndyR New Member

I am looking at buying a new laptop to use just now through some of my learning. I dont feel confident enough or beleive that i have the skills to put a system together myself so i want a laptop to do me until then.

I was out looking today and there seems to be a decent choice, making it a hard decision. There are a couple of sony laptops but ive not had one before and was wondering what they were like?? Does anyone have any recommendations?? Look at under a grand if possible.

Also, i cant decide on the processor to go as i dont have much knowledge on them. Is there actually a better one between AMD and Intel?? Or are they mostly similar in performance??

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have the MSI EX-625 and I'm quite please with it. So far, it matches the spec's of alot of the top range Sony Vaio's but cheaper. The graphics card is a top class 2 card, however I would say if you go for this make sure that the CPU support virtualisation.

Apart from studying, what else are you planning to use the laptop for? Eg gaming, video encoding, etc...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. AndyR

AndyR New Member

I like my gaming bt wont be using it for that too much. Maybe jst the game or two. Using the web aswell bt itl mainly be used for study.

4. AndyR

AndyR New Member

I quite like the Sony VGN-NW11SS Laptop. Is the Intel Core2 Due processor any good or am i better off with one of the better range of Intels??

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The Intel Core 2 Duo, is an excellent CPU and good value for money. 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. AndyR

AndyR New Member

Thanks bluerinse. Off to get one this morning. Torn between 3 but nearly made my mind up:)