New laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Aug 3, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/27-...4-DVDRW-Win-Vista-Home-Premium-Compare-Prices

This is what ive been saving for and i thought id see what everyone thought, or see if anyone knew of a better deal with these specs

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nice specs, though I don't know how good Acer's laptops are.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Build quality tends to be bit more important with a laptop, you'd be surprised how many break within first couple years. Fixing a laptop is generally pretty expensive and a bit of a pain as its all integrated.

I've never had an acer so again i can't really comment, I'd try to look at one in real life if you haven't, or get others opinions that have.

The bigger brands tend to be a bit more reliable on average but you do pay more, things like HP, Sony, IBM. Dells also popular as a cheap but ok brand.

At the risk of upsetting the anti mac brigade I have to say that the macbook pro looks really cool ! :biggrin

4. zxspectrum

I know what your all saying but i know at least 3 people with similar lappys but with lesser specs who are impressed with what they have bought and also have had no problems

Think ill be geting this one

Ed

5. BosonMichael

Then our opinions would have been irrelevant anyway! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Acer laptops in that price range are quite nice and feel decent quality. They don't feel cheap and nasty.

We just ordered about 30 or 40 Acer laptops, they may even be the same as the one in your link. I don't have the details to hand but we have been pleased with them so far.

My personal preference based on using quite a few in the last few years are Toshiba. Quite rugged and have lasted well.

I could also recommend Dell as I have a 6 year old Dell laptop (1Ghz Celery) that is still working. Ok so the hinges for the screen are almost gone, but I took that thing everywhere with me when I was travelling to 2 sites a day over a 3 year period.

Wether or not the current Dell laptops are up to much I couldn't say.

One last comment, Sony Vaio's. Very pretty and very fragile. If it's going to be a largely 'static' laptop then go for it and be aware you'll be paying extra for the name and the looks. All of th Vaio's I have come across in the last few years really haven't lasted that well if they have been used a lot and moved about a lot.

The last one we bought (as featured in the last Bond film) has carbon fibre bits apparently, so time will tell if it falls apart or not. The person it was bought for managed to put a whacking great scratch in it's lid within a week. It only cost £1500 quid ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. zxspectrum

Well the way i see it Bosonmichael is that you can never have too many opinions on these sorts of things. Before just buying what i thought was a goood deal i always like to get the best for my money. I was just testing the water really to see if anyone had had any bad expericences with Acer

Ed

8. BosonMichael

This is true. :)

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Dude aren't Acer the comps you can buy in supermarkets and PCworld, Currys and Comet.

I have heard bad things about the Desktops not sure about Laptops though.

The specs look good enough

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. zxspectrum

Aye ive seen them in the shops but the one im getting is directly from Acer themselves which is why the price is good. I think the same model in currys or nearest to it was 150 extra

Ed

11. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We get Acer lappys for our school and we have very few issues with them

Try loooking at www.acerlaptops.co.uk

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong