New kid on the block

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Tijzer, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Tijzer

Tijzer New Member

Hi guys,

I'm currently working as a 1st/2nd line service desk employee and looking to certify myself, but to be honest all those different certifications and different ways to go can work quite confusing. I have already got some experience by my job ofcourse, such as basic exchange, AD, basic networking skills,... So at the moment not sure which route I'm going to follow. So, any advice is welcome!

I mostly doubt between doing the CCENT/CCNA and the MTA/MCSA certification routes. I hope by reading other posts I will receive some answers which I have lately.

Best regards!

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi Tijzer and welcome to CF! :thumbleft

As you are currently employed in IT and are gaining experience, I'd skip the MTA exams - they are really aimed at students.

Apart from that, where would you like your career to go?

MCSA is obviously exclusively Microsoft, but you have choices within that for the tech you're interested in: Server, Desktop, Databases etc...

CCNA (and first, CCENT) are very specific to Cisco networking products....

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. Tijzer

Tijzer New Member

My interests is mostly situated towards the server topics. I would also like to do most of the certs by self study. Any advice on let's say the MCSA Windows Server cert, can this be realized by self study?

5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes, no reason at all why this MCSA cannot be completed through self-study.

Your next move would be to choose whether Server 2008 or 2012 would be the best for you. Then pop over to the MS Server Technologies forum here and ask some questions. Get the MS press book for your chosen exam if possible, too.

http://www.certforums.com/forums/windows-server-2003-2008-2012-exams/

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  6. Tijzer

Tijzer New Member

I think I will go with the 2008. Any realistic timetable for MCSA certification when you do it by selfstudy? Is it maybe also a good idea to get the books and also subscribe for CBTNuggets help? Or is that unnecessary?

7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

VERY rough estimate? 3 months per exam (of which there are 3), so I'd say 7-12 months for the whole thing.

But it very much depends on how much time you can give over to study, and how many of the principles are new to you.

Again, I'd say post over on the Server forums as those there will have much more experience of this.

I'd always say, just get the MS press book for the 1st exam and have a read, even before you definitely decide to go through with it, and certainly before you spend any more money on further resources. Just in case it isn't right for you.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013