New kid on the block.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by AndyR, Aug 27, 2009.

1. AndyR

AndyR New Member

Howdy.

Names Andy, at a great age of 21 and im from sunny scotland. Currently working in the building trade but now looking to follow my ambitions of a career in IT.

Only happened to fall on this site in the pursuit of some information about a TP which i was all for after being "accepted" for a course. Having spent the last 2hours reading through endless posts about certain TP's, self-study, college etc, ive came to the decision that maybe it wont be the best thing for me.

6k is alot of money, and i believe it would be a gamble as it is a long time since ive really had to "use" my brain to an extent of reading and learning (albeit the odd time at college) so self-study looks the best option for me.
    It will give me a chance to get back up and running technical wise and also to see if i am mentally capabale of doing this(i strongly believe i am however).

Not much experience in aspect of IT. Can be handy with the pc at home and help for friends/family. Also done the odd upgrade of hard-drive, graphics card etc.
    Did some basic programming after leaving school, buying a few books, vb, delphi(which had no use as i hadnt noticed it was "Mastering" lol) but had just started a job so most of the time was taken up settling into that.

That brings me to my initial hopes in IT. I am really looking at going down the programming route as i did enjoy the short time i had with it before and have a large interest in it. Having opted against the TP im now looking for some advice on the quals and certs i would need to go for programming, any help would be much appreciated.

Apologies for the size of my 1st post, im sure "hello" would have probably been sufficient :biggrin

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome, and congrats on your decision.

To get into programming, learn to program and create an e-portfolio of code you've created. Certifications aren't that important for programmers because you can show potential employers the code you've created. Technical admins can't similarly show an e-portfolio of networks we've administered, so that's why certifications are much more important for admin types.

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. AndyR

AndyR New Member

Thanks Bosonmichael, the advisor from the TP certainly never mentioned that so theres another plus of changing my mind. I don't think i will be solely focusing on programming as i need to keep my options open and I intend to learn as much as i can to widing my kwowledge. Is the A+ the best place to start as ive noticed everyone seems to mention it. What would be the next step following that??

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The A+ is typically for people who are starting out on the technical administration path, not the programming path. It contains subject matter relevant for people who do basic PC desktop support or work in a helpdesk environment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!