New Job!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by kammodo, Nov 13, 2008.

1. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

Hello Forum!

Just to let you know, I have landed my first full time IT job supporting Cisco networks. To be honest I was starting to get a little worried about being unemployed and the "recession" ect.
    It took 120+ written and e-mailed CV. 35+ telephone interviews, 2 face to face interviews and tonnes of praying! Anyone who is still looking for a job, dont give up or get disheartened. Just treat the task of looking for a job as if it was your only job :D

Certifications: CCNA R+S, CCDA , CCNP r+s , CCDP
    WIP: CCIE
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thats the spirit, excellent news on the job!

Please give us feedback on how the first few days go.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on your new job :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good news thanks for feedback and give us a three day feedback when you can:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Great news, well done :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Great stuff mate, congrats. Goes to show what determination and patience can achieve! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

****in A!
    Champagne celebrations to you kammodo
    Congrats

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  8. keconnect sparky

keconnect sparky Nibble Poster

Well done mate, great news!
    whats ur previous back experience/IT experience - just out of curiousty? - becuase i am also praying i can break into the cisco support role

Certifications: MCP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-S
    WIP: CCNP (ROUTE)
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

congratu****inlations.

:biggrin Great job mate. :)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Congrats m8 !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

^

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  13. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

I have had hands on with the network at my previous employment. There were 3 other lads going for the same role, so I made sure that my technical knowledge was spot on. At various stages I was given sheets of technical questions, which was daunting at first, but once I started then I had to request for more paper because I had run out of space. If you intend to go for a job just be 100% confident in you abilites and if you cant do something, dont lie just be honest and say Im a quick learner and willing to progress ect ect. I start in a couple of weeks, and Ill keep the forum up to date on how things are going, and most defintely to ask loads of questions!

14. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi man/woman inside whale.

I was wondering what career path does it take to become a cisco network engineer?

did u start from: helpdesk -> desktop support > network admin > cisco network engineer?

fatp

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on the new job. Good luck with it. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

I was quite fortunate to be apart of a small telecomms company, in which I was the only qualified engineer to upgrade, manage and troubleshoot the network. This gave me loads of hands on while I was studying for my CCNA. I am no expert in career path mapping for network engineers, but I know what worked for me in my situation. I guess that whatever field your in, just strive to be the expert in your role.

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

I thought Id give some feedback in my new job. The job is fantastic! It was hard getting through the interviews , technical tests and practical test labs, but it was well worth it. I have been mainy involved in field based roles with hands on and face to face contact in the past. It was quite difficult to learn the remedy system and multiple other accociated tools for the job and having most of my conversation via voip conferance for new link and system implementations. But I am getting there. Alot of people I work with are CCNP or CCIE so there is a wealth of experiance here and a fantastic career path. Anyhow, it was well worth sending out the 120+ CVs and being worringly unemployed for over a month, to finally land my ideal job. I know this is not a blog, but I thought Id give a quick line of new job feedback!
    Good luck for all you job hunters

Ps. We use ISDN backup links as well as HSRP and VRRP. I havent got much knowledge on troubleshooting ISDN because the new CCNA syllabus considers it legacy eqiptment along with x25. Any help with this tec and how it fits in to a enterprise network, would help me out loads.

19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

congrats :)

I used to use two ISDN boxes with 25 channel each if I remember correctly but the skin flint bosses said it cost too much and they cut it to 4 then eventually it was gone.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback Kammodo and good luck with your new role:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell