new job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ally_uk, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Hi there I am interested in possibly getting a new job but I need some advice as to which path to go.

I have 2 years experience working as a first line support techy. And 1 years expereince working as a technician.

My skillset includes troubleshooting, upgrading repairing a wide range of computer hardware including Macintosh

I have expereince of supporting over 200 users internally and remotley on a windows platform which included resolving basic Active directory and Exchange problems and supporting a range of issues regarding Mircrosoft problems ( Outlook, Office etc)

From a network point of view I have experience of basic administration ( password changes, adding users etc)

Troubleshooting basics i.e cable faults NIC's and Ping commands, resolving I.P conflicts etc

And from a network point of view hardware wise I have experience of Installing CAT5 cable patching in ports setting up small Lans and supporting the final product

Open source wise I am a avid Linux user fave distro is Debian :)

I need a new challenge which route should I go?

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

From the sounds of it, it sounds like you have level 1 & 2 experience. The next step would either be moving into a senior role within the level 1 &/or 2, start to looking at moving into level 3 support, or move to an organisation with alot more than 200 users.

However with only 1 year of being a tech you may find it hard to move up to the next level, imo. I would recommend that you have a word with your manager about increasing your job responsibility/or job shadowing, and start to work with servers (DC's, exchange, etc) and switches.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Excellent advice, as usual... I echo what Ken said.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!