New job sooner than I thought . . .

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Coupe2T, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I have been working on a promise over the last month or two that if I self trained up to CCNA level then my company would give me a role in our Network Support team, So far I have read a N+ book but had a meeting with the Network team lead yesterday, he didn't know much about the N+ and what it covered but threw a few questions at me about OSI model, DNS, WINS, DHCP and various other network based queries and seemed very impressed with what I knew already.

He's asked me to learn a few chapters from a CCNA book now and is building me a lab here at the office, then he wants to test me before sending me out on my first Network support calls (Patching and cabling mostly, but it's a start). Wasn't expecting anything until maybe 2nd quarter next year, so pretty chuffed with that!

I need this new job role, mine has become very boring now as I can do everything with my eyes shut (Not literally of course).

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
    Coupe2T likes this.
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Nice one mate, sounds like they're looking after you and willing to help you out.

When you say patching and cabling, just be sure to look at my monstrosity of an effort which'll make you feel better each day (The people who installed the rack put the 4 switches at the bottom, hence the mess :D)

View attachment 2523

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

That doesn't look too dis-similar to a couple of the racks in the Datacentre here! lol. So much cable! Will be having cabling nightmares within a week I expect!

All good fun though, until I cut off the entire Sales team by pulling the wrong cable or summin silly like that! lmao.

5. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Congratz :). Patching can be a ballache though I hate it.

Should I be worried that actually doesn't look too bad to me? :).

Mine is a lot messier and it's vastly better than it used to be. I might post a pic later.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  6. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

haha

that was when i was in Berlin earlier this year, they were being awkward and wanted the IP Phones to run seperately to the computers (The pc's can run through the phones network connection, thus saving a port per PC)

Blue cables were IP Phones, green ones were PC's, and yellow ones were printers/servers

I dread to think what it's like now, i'm back there for a week end of this month so we'll see!

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  7. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

It doesn't look to bad at all. The bottom few though yeh.. ; )

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  8. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Congrats! the good thing is that they are gonna setup a lab for you to work/practice with and it seems things are really working out for you, well good luck with your support calls.

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  9. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Cheers guys,

By all means all post pics of your enclosures too, be interesting to see if they are all as bad as one another! lol.

Been reading up on the ICND1 now as part of 'homework' that the boss on the Network Support team has given me, so looks like I might be skipping the N+ for now and going straight to CCNA (Gulp!!)

All good fun though, and i'm sure much easier to pass when you physically get to play with the routers and networks on a day to day basis etc. :)