New job offer. Confused!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Paolow, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Paolow

Paolow Bit Poster

Hello everyone.

Im currently working in a 1stline tech support job for a large company who supports over 17,000 users. Im studying a+ n+ mcsa and mcse. Ive only been there a few months, but the other day I recieved a call from an ISP asking me if I wanted a job as broadband installation engineer. This would be self employed and I would have to work six days a week but the money would be twice as good. My only problem now is that I have enrolled to do the mentioned certs while I work in my current job, I like the sound of the other job but is there any prospects in installing broadband in peoples homes and is it a waste of time studying for the certs that i have already paid for. Can anyone give any advice or is there anyone who has worked as an installation engineer who can shed some light as im so confused. I dont know what to do:cry::cry:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+ MCSA MCSE
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You would be the same as a Sky installation engineer. Stick with the first line support job - at least you'll have a bit more exposure to technology and it will look better on your CV. Of course, the financial decision may make the other offer a no-brainer (I don't know what your financial situation is) but, career wise, you would be better off trying to solve ID ten T errors all day long, even if its infuriating at times, than you would feeding coax or phone lines into peoples' houses.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Lol.... I love saying that to people!!:biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  4. Paolow

Paolow Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice. I had a feeling that you would say that I guess i need to look at the long run prospects rather than the quick fix. I ve not been in my current job long and I feel like im on a big learning curve and i was thinking if i had made the right choice. Its my first IT job and at the moment i feel like im a bit out of my depth but my supervisor reassured me that its just a matter of time before i get to grips with the job. Thanks:)

5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

If there paying for your certs etc, stay where you are. Your actually doing I.T. work! After you got the certS + experiance you can work your way up.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  6. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I have to agree with what everyone is saying. Don't just look at the short term and the money, look long term. You may make more pulling cable, but where does that leave you in 3 years? Same place whereas, if you were to keep up with the tech job you currently have, in 3 years you could be above and beyond what the broadband place if offering. Remember too that it isn't always about the money. I've left enjoyable jobs for a lot more money and have been miserable as a result. Make sure you are doing what you want to do. Of course, it IT isn't a career you would like to see yourself in long term, then that is another thing to factor in when making your decision.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  7. Paolow

Paolow Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice. I just feel that I still havent settled in at my new job. I feel like im on a huge learning curve and I dont know everything. I would love to do a job where i am mobile and left to be my own boss as i used to be a postman. Im at a stage where im unsure and iknow for a fact i dont want to stay in first line support:cry:

8. donpisci

donpisci Bit Poster

I know what you mean about 1st line support, but you've got to remember, doing what you're doing is giving you something Certs won't be able to; experience.

Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: Diploma in Business Analysis
  9. Paolow

Paolow Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice. I just feel that I still havent settled in at my new job. I feel like im on a huge learning curve and I dont know everything. I would love to do a job where i am mobile and left to be my own boss as i used to be a postman. Im at a stage where im unsure and iknow for a fact i dont want to stay in first line support:cry:

10. Paolow

Paolow Bit Poster

Your right im just having a hard time adjusting to the work environment

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You won't feel like you're settled until you start building that experience... and that will only come by solving the technical problems that are presented to you. Over time, the job will become easier to you - problems will become easier to diagnose and fix. And eventually, you WILL know just about everything that is thrown at you.

But consider this: if you advance in your IT career, you will continue to be challenged with new technologies, and sometimes, you WILL feel like you're out of your depth. Never reset a user's password? Fine - do it a few times, and you'll get used to it. Never installed a server before? Fine - do it a few times - even mess a few up - and it'll eventually become second nature. Never installed a firewall before? Trial and error... and you'll eventually learn how.

IT's a great career field if you enjoy learning, and I hope you will grow to enjoy the challenges that IT offers. If not... IT might not be the career field for you.

I wish you the best of luck! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!