New job now or not?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by derkit, Jul 14, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Something that has been on my mind for a few months now and with the economic climate taking a turn it's a new ball-game - so what are the populus' view on the job market??

Good (but same old) job, pretty good salary, no real reason why it should end in sight (government contract) or attempt to get a new job? Been sending my CV out and its been picked up by quite a few agencies so IT seems to be booming still, but I'm concerned that the economy may get worse and, especially for some of these little companies, may end badly (first in, first out etc.)

Stay as its safe as houses or go as nothings going to happen to IT? :dry

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

for me it would depend on whether you felt you were in your comfort zone at work. If you go there feeling that you are still being challenged then stay put. If you're just going through the motions then.......

3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd always keep looking, just in case the wind changes and you find yourself in any real danger of redundancy in your current job. There's no harm in going for interviews, honing those interviewing skills, ready for the next great opportunity.

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I agree with GiddyG, keep your options open and have some interviews, you never know what might turn up!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Always keep your eyes open for new opportunities. Never know when an excellent job will come along.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

So as a general view, ignore really what the economic climate might be? This is my biggest sticking point at the moment (especially with not really remembering (being 9/10) the last recession/economic slowdown.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Nope, don't ignore the economic climate. If you're happy in your job, then stick with it, especially if the work is fun and the pay is acceptable.

However, that doesn't stop you looking, just in case anything untoward happens at work.

If you smarten up the CV, get the agencies pushing your info, and try your 'job nabbing' skills with the occassional interview, then you'll be ready should your employer take a hit, or if the greatest job in the world drops into your lap. 8)

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you provide the best value for the level of service you provide, or if you bring in more revenue than you cost (for those who bill customers), you're generally safe. That said, if you're happy where you are, why leave?

There were two guys who were going to play a game of basketball. On the way to the gym, they walked past a zoo. All of a sudden, the lion escapes and comes running after the guys. One guy starts running while the other guy starts putting on his running shoes. The first guy says, "What are you doing? The lion's coming! We have to outrun him!" The guy putting on his running shoes said, "I don't have to outrun the lion..."

"...I only have to outrun you."

Surpass your peers, and the lion won't eat you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I wouldnt say ignore, just dont let it influence what you want to do. 8)

At work we have seen no change, few big installs lined up then kicking off some Server 2008 migrations which will probably go live in 2009.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs