New Job in IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by twizzle, Feb 11, 2011.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well last month i finished my job in IT support after 2 years. I'd had a few differences of opinion with teh MD and decided by mutual agreement it was best if i left. It had created an atmosphere in teh support department and i just couldnt carry on. So i thought i'd end up joining teh dole and spending a few months not getting anything in IT and eventually taking any role just for money.

How wrong i was. My GF just got a job at a brand new factory thats opening up the road. When teh woman rang to say she'd got teh job, g/f was out so i took call, and just happned to mention i was out of work so timming was great. She then went on to say they were looking for stock controllers if i was interested. Explained i wanted IT but would consider it as a job anyway and was asked to see her following day. This i did, and there was talk of possible IT role in factory as well, if i would only come back again and see the floor manager.

So over teh next few days i was back and forth seeing several people about possible roles within this factory. Eventually this led to an interview (informal one) with teh IT manager for teh group and teh IT guy from another of thier sites. This i felt didnt go particulary well as i've got a bit of a horse voice at the moment and couldnt talk for long. However withing 10 mins of getting home from this interview i got a phone call, hey presto i was offered teh job as sole IT guy for teh factory! How could i refuse?

When i say sole IT guy, thats on site. They do have a central IT depratment up north for most issues. They deal with teh server and desktop stuff remotley. My role will be to ensure all teh factory machines they have that ahve some element of IT in them work, also to look at energy monitoring, some general IT stuff and lots more. Its a brand new hi tech factory that deals with Food stuffs so their trying to be eco friendly and a paperless factory. I'll also be required to do remote connections from home on days im not in when theres a fault.

I think its a role that while may have a steep learning curve to start with, will have great potential in teh long run. It will be challeneging and hard work, but i never turn down a challenge. And i start next week!

So all this shows, never count your chickens and get down about things, it all falls into place at some point.

(i'll see about doing a 3 day into teh job report later, but it may be ina week or two!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats. I bet that this news is a weight off the mind!

P.S 15 "the" typos in there haha.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. zet

zet Byte Poster

Congrats, and wow you went to great lengths to type 'teh'.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  5. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Go out and buy some lottery tickets, mate! Extraordinary luck. I am in a similar position as a sole IT person in a disabled factory. It's quite an easy job! And also when you are the only technical guy, you get all the jobs remotely related to technology (for instance, I have spent all day looking at lone-worker security systems / panic alarms as one of our female trainers was assaulted this week by an external client) ... job will be diverse, I am sure. The other good thing is you're word will generally be taken as gospel!

6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Only 15? DAMN!! and i was trying so hard! least i didnt have any lieks in tehre too!
    (dont worry, i do plan on usingteh psell check at work! its not i cant spell its just i cant type! and im in IT, go figure!) :p

7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

You know what? I may just get some lotto tickets. Seems its my lucky day. I went into town to buy a model to celebrate (into WH40k) and turns out my local GW supplier was selling stuff at half price! so i spent 150 on stuff worth 300! great deal. DO i dare risk lotto as well or is that pushing things?

I'm kinda looking forward to the job as i know its going to be very diverse. I'll have to deal with things that most IT techs wouldnt. Such as packaging and wrapping machines and heating / power controls. never mind the (see i got it right there!) normal set up emails or help some one start office.

8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Major congrats mate!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Before the brackets then, I thought you were going to say you were into Russian blondes :D :D

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good news and congratulations:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the new job mate. :thumbleft

Naaah, it's because you're lysdexic.

This just begs the question, how much and what's her name, but I wouldn't stoop so low. :twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the job and I could tell from your avatar you were into 40k. :) I was at the SFX Weekender last week and met Dan Abnett who signed all of the 21 books of his I had and also my copy of the Ultramarines movie. :)

He was a cool guy btw, we were at the main venue early and saw him arrive. We said hello and mentioned we had a load of his stuff we'd like signing later on etc.. and he said he do it there and then, so no queuing etc.. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Congrats Twizzle. :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure