New job..... hopefully

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by derkit, May 14, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Well, kept this one quiet, but just come back from an interview for a systems admin role, fielded questions from the technical boss of 3rd line, what is WINS, how do you remote into an NT server, describe AD etc. and the normal personnel-type questions from the roles' manager - seem to go pretty well, if I don't get the job it definitely won't be down to having a bad interview, just that someone else was better suited.

Should find out by Tuesday AM 8)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck with it mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

Good luck !

WIP: Exchange
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hope you get it! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Best of luck 8)

6. Fastracksteve

Fastracksteve Bit Poster

Good luck, hope it comes through for you!

Certifications: CCDA ACSE CCWA Mitel SX2000 & 3300
  7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Yeah fingers crossed for you

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

good luck, sounds like it went well :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Good luck:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Well done - good luck! :)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  12. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thanks everyone - should hopefully know by tomorrow afternoon or early Tuesday morning.... getting nervous now, and starting to doubt myself whether I did enough..... Will have to wait and see!

13. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Found out today - :(

Oh well, a bit disappointed as this would be an ideal role, but will continue on - should be another vacancy opening in this team soon, so may wait until then or until I pass the Network+, then I'll decide.

14. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Well, don't get discouraged... the perfect opportunity for you is still out there.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

We've all been there at some point in time in our job hunts, personally can't count the times I've been turned down of a job offer.

Keep positive and keep plugging away, something more suitable would come when you least expect. Best wishes and keep your head high, but not in pride:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Derkit! Don't hit your head against the wall like that! You'll injure yourself! :ohmy

:p

As the others have said, don't be discouraged. It's not a knock on your abilities... just someone more suitable came along. You'll get your chance. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Ditto to what's been said, you'll get your chance. You'll also be in a better position after you complete your N+.

18. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm completely with you guys, and thanks for the support. :)

I've already been contacted by the manager that was interviewing me saying that the difference between me and the person who got it ended up being that he/she needing less training (and I know it was around AD!).

The two of them were "really impressed" with me, so much so they went out of their way to speak to a senior manager on another team, and on their recommendation he is more than happy to give me a secondment on one of his teams so I get hands on AD experience for a couple of weeks - not the job, but at least experience I can take out of the company if I leave! :D

19. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I have no idea what "secondment" means but overall the news sounds good. So good for you on making a great impression and ability to get some experience.

20. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

That’s good news. :) An opportunity to get your hands dirty and do some administration. It feels very different the first time you delve into AD on a live network compared to messing about at home. Ask questions, right click everything and see how its setup and most of all... enjoy the experience (IT is fun! Although some of my colleagues don’t agree) :blink

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation