New job dilemma

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mcbro, Apr 11, 2012.

1. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Some advice needed

Last week i started a new job as a desktop support administrator for a large financial news company. The problem is im not sure the role is right for me but do i stick it out or just accept its not right?

Background
    My last role was for a managed IT company looking after companies ranging from 3 to 300+ employees. I got full access to all networks and servers and could usually get involved with some fun stuff setting up servers, installing new kit etc.
    Downsides of the job the salary was low and when there wasnt any big projects on it could be fairly quiet/dull going to the same small companies whose networks didnt break or change much.

So as the salary was low and i wanted to start looking at getting my own place i took a job with a higher salary problem is they have an infrastructure person and the office is in managed building so they dont control the network and phones. Im worried that ill get bored just doing desktop stuff.

My aim is it move into a solely infrastructure role in the future.

Im planning on speaking to my manager on Friday but all advise/abuse welcome

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would of thought you would have known what the job role entailed on a daily basis prior to signing the contract? Anyway, speak to your manager and see what he says, all the best either way.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

First off I would see what infrastructure stuff you can get involved in if any, and also look at what scope there is to learn new skills/technologies. If there is little new to learn or be involved with then it may well not be the right role for you, but I would not leave without first securing another position to move into.

I'm sure if you speak to your boss in the correct manner then they will see what can be done to alleviate any potential worries etc that you may have, but I would give it a bit of time before really making a decision, as you will probably become more involved in things naturally as you learn the new landscape and how all of the apps etc are hung together and so forth in the new business.

My two cents worth, take from it what you will. :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  4. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I did in part but i didnt realise how little infrastructure id be involved with. On the plus side i do have a nippy little PC and two new 23" screens :oops:

5. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I think your right but i was worried about how it would look on my CV. I have a 3 month probation period so maybe i should give it to then.

6. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I wouldn't worry too much about the CV thing, as long as every job on there isn't only 3 months or something. You can always just explain it away as you took a position which wasn't quite what you thought it would be, then explain you have given it a chance but it doesn't match up to what you were originally told the post would involve and so forth. You know the type of thing.

7. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Wouldn't worry about the CV thing too much either.

I'm leaving my current role tomorrow after only 5 months and was only in my previous job to that for 6 months and hasn't mattered one bit to people who are interested in me!

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The only way forward (without waving the white flag) is to go to your bosses outlining how much time (and time=money) you could save by being able to do X,Y and Z without having to escalate to the infrastructure team. However, your role is desktop support so how much they are willing to give you depends on them.

Also, bear in mind that any role is what you make it. Find ways to make it more interesting. I love automating procedures because I like coding......and because I'm lazy and can't be assed with day-today tasks and I'd rather get it out of the way so I can do more interesting stuff.... like automating week-to-week tasks.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
    danielno8 likes this.
  9. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Thanks for the advice guys.
    A little update. I went for drinks with my old company last night and obviously people asked about my new job etc. Chatting to one of the main managers and she asked if i would consider coming back. I said i would and she said she would be able to get me a small raise on my old salary (she knows the salary in my new job) but more importantly, training in my area of choice Citrix, Cisco etc and a structured plan to become a senior/consultant engineer for them. We agreed to talk again next week after i have a bit more time to think.

10. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Sounds promising! Hope it all works out for you , whatever you decide.

11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Exact same thing happened to my friend... he went back in the end and was happy with the choice. Think about it really hard and make the move if necessary. At the end of the, if you're happy, that's what matters.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA