New Job. Advise wanted please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by simongrahamuk, Mar 16, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Guy's today I was offered a job. Well basicaly it's the same job that I do now, but in another school, and for more money.

Now the new school runs an RM network, which in itself will be a learning curve for me as I've never used it before, But they also run three debian based linux servers, Firewall / web filter, email server, and another (cant remember what it does). This will be another learning curve.

Now what I think I'm asking is am I biting off more than I can chew? Would the learning curve be to steep? Or is it simply that I'm in the 'comfort zone' in my current job?

I think that I already know the answer in myself but just want further thoughts, as I have to give tham an answer tomorrow.

:unsure

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

simon i think its all up to you in the end.. yes more money is good! It also depends on where you want to go in IT. I know i cant comment much but since you moving into a similar enviroment just alot more new things, it will increase your knowledge and you will gain experience in linux which is something not many people can say they have the chance to!

I say good luck and seriously look into it. BTW why dont you list your MCSA in your certs? I know you dont like it because you needed 600 to pass but so did everyone else be proud of it you worked your butt of remember! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Coz I never set out to achieve it Zimbo! I just sort of accidently picked it up! :blink

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Simon this sounds like a great opportunity to me. However, I suppose whether you sink or swim in your new role will depend on the situation you find yourself in. If you are part of a team of people and others in that team have experience with Linux to the degree that would be necessary, it would be great. If on the other hand you are on your own, and looking after the Linux boxes is a major part of the work load, well then you might want to think twice.

Good luck, you are spoilt for choice 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Big decision!

As Bluerinse said are there any other IT guys who have experience in Linux? I am supporting a Linux\Mac network in work at the moment and when I get a support call it can be a nightmare as all of my previous experience is with Windows based networks. Luckily if it’s a big problem I can phone a Linux consultant who worked with the company a while back and he has helped out a few times with some complex problems, not even Google could help! :blink

Hope everything goes well! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well thanks guys for your words of wisdom. It was appreciated.

After a long day (been up since 4am) of pondering and thinking, it was my inability to make the decision that has made the decision for me.

I've spent the whole day speaking with people and trying to decide what best to do, but ultimately because I couldn't decide if I wanted to leave and take up the new challenge it made me realise that perhaps deep down I didnt really want the job, and that it wasn't the right job for me.

Perhaps I'll regret it, perhaps I won't. The way I'm looking at things at the minute is that I'm happy and I can focus on doing what I want to do, and learning the technologies so that when the right job comes along I'm ready for it.

Right, I'm off to the pub for a few Guinesses! I need them!

8)

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

and some wise words back from you! All the best for the future and for the old job! :p :alc

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. danOne

danOne Bit Poster

This isn't helping you, I just had a question you'd probably be able to answer?

If you get a net admin job in a school this would mean you need to teach too, or am I wrong?

Also, comp teachers in school, hows that job, what do you teach, how do you like it (if you do teach)?

9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Having recently been for 2 interviews for school It techs i can answer this lol...
    You would not be employed on the teaching staff but as one of the support staff (ie receptionsists, caretakers and IT TECHs). You just take care of the school network and the PCs, laptops, interactive whiteboards etc etc. Install new software, update hardware and maybe even get a chance to suggest modifications or upgrades... You also need to pass the CRB checks first.. And would only be left alone with pupils once that had been done. No teaching is required tho you may have to help students ina classroom at some point (tho not much and not often)

As for teaching IT, As with most teaching subjects you normally need a degree in the subject plus the teaching qualifiactiona t degree level (have freinds who are teachers or becomming one). An IT teacher normally covers such things a software apps, and maybe some technical hardware, but it all depends on what level of school they teach in.. Junior or High school.

Btw i did not get either IT tech jobs as lack of network experince let me down. plus one of the other interviewees went to one of the schools and had worked on thier network before (i hate that lol) tho it was the same 4 who failed the first schools interview who had applied for the second school.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  10. danOne

danOne Bit Poster

Thanks for clearing that up.

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well said, I think you know deep down if a job is right for you or not. The fact that more money was involved and it’s a new challenge can make you think twice though!

On the plus side its always good to be considered for other jobs! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well done, Simon. If you think you're right, then you probably are. I've been in a similar situation in the past, where I turned down what appeared to be a better job, because the experience I was gaining at the time outweighed the benefits of moving. I stuck by my guns, and ultimately was proved right.

...until the bar stewards made me redundant several months later !!!! Still, had a new job lined up before they even confirmed my redundancy :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

Phew It was bad enough trying to find your present location :D .

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270
  14. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

look at it like this. they wouldnt offer you the job if they didnt think you were capable of doing what was required.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just something to bear in mind, in primary / junior schools, they don't have IT teachers, the teachers generally teach all subjects (bar one or two like music or games which teachers don't always have to teach). You get IT Coordinators, but it's a far cry from being an IT Teacher as such,

I have had the 'inside man' factor work against me and for me in the past. I went for an interview at a high school a couple of years ago (traveled quite a distance as well as I was thiking of relocating) and there were TWO internal candidates. It was a bizzare situation as they ended up employing the least qualified of the candidates. Was very demoralising at the time.

On the flipside, I got my current job after a very informal chat with the Network manager as I had supported the school under contract with my previous employer. So the 4 or 5 other candidates didn't get a look in really. I also got 5k more than they were going to pay for the job role when they advertised for it, which was nice. :) Well, I wouldn't have accepted the job otherwise, as it would have meant a paycut.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada