New Horizons internship

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Japanese Elvis, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

http://www.newhorizonsscotland.com/web/consprog.asp

I'm looking into the possibility of training via this route, Im new to IT and fancy going down a A+ N+ MCSA route.

I'm awaiting a call today to confirm what the cost to me will be and also to establish how much control I have over the path taken.

Based on that thin detail, any comments?

ta.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  2. Japanese Elvis

Ok, a little bit more info now.

Unlimited access to 'walk in' training, all courseware, all exam fees, pre-exam testing.

They expect you to attain A+ N+ and MCSA.

No penalty if you walk away.

Anticipated route; A+, N+, 70-290, 70-291, 70-270, but not fixed by them.

Cost £4450 all in.

I would be proposing to do this full time and just get my head down for a few months.

Good idea?

Bad idea?

Expensive?

Confused? :blink :blink

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm not the best one to respond to your query since my formal education was on the college level. I don't have any experienced with for-profit training vendors. One thing I will say is that even if you go through all the coursework and attain those certs, keep in mind that you'll still need to build up some experience to appear credible to prospective employers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Japanese Elvis

I appreciate that this will be a key issue for me - i.e. lack of experience.

That was one aspect of this 'offer' that was also attractive, namely they offer 2 weeks on the job experience shadowing their own support staff (this is unpaid and optional, but sounds fair enough), and they also offer a paid 30 day contract with one of their corporate clients.

6 weeks ain't much, but it's 6 weeks more than nothing!

I hope that this may be enough to get a toe in the door, if not a whole foot :wink: