New Home Cinema system

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about picking up a new Home Cinema system - upgrading to a big ass tv, and blu-ray.

I was considering getting set up in a couple of stages: First, get the big tv. I have an xbox, so can use the component cables on it to get an instant benefit of HD (not to mention the bigger viewing area).

After that (several months after) I was thinking about buying an amp/BR player/surround sound system. I was thinking about getting Home Cinema System 4 - although I wont settle on a specific unit until I have the cash set aside to buy it (after all, things change). I do think I might get wireless adapters for the speakers though, just to make life a little easier.

I'm a total novice when it comes to these things though, does anyone in the know have any suggestions about what to get/not get?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Around 1995 I spent over £8k putting my system in.

In wouldn't cost anything like that now as things have moved on and prices dropped. However, buying principles are the same.

Spend some time reading the Home Cinema mags and especially reviews. If you can try to compare equipment when the same reviewer has done the test. Visit some local hi-fi shops as well as the big chains.

Richer Sounds can be quite good but remember they are effectively a discount shop and you really want to make sure what you're getting first.

Hi-Fi and Home Cinema is a bit like buying antiques - quality will always show through. Try to stick to better makes where you can and avoid the cheapies.

Decide what you mainly want to watch/listen to i.e. gaming/tv/films/sport and try to see equipment running what you're mainly going to use it for.

Take a dvd with you that you know well in terms of how it should look, quality-wise for the picture and the sound and ask to test that in various players. Ok, for blu-ray, more difficult but you can always ask for the same demo to be used in all players.

For picture, look at plasma and lcd (the rule of getting plasma if over 42" is dimishing as lcd quality has improved on larger screens).

For my own personal choice, I'd go for a Pioneer Plasma (they really are the best) but as they can be expensive look at LG, Samsung and Panasonic.

For equipment look at makes such as Harmon Kardon, Denon etc.

If you have a Sevenoaks Hi-Fi store near you they are qute good and reputable and are a national chain - see store list here.

Alternatively if you really can't be arsed then just go with whatever you gte flogged at your local Curry's :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

If you haven't already, I'd take a look over at avforums.com - some of the guys there really know their stuff and you'll get lots of ideas there.

Been thinking about getting some new home theatre kit myself - just now I have a Samsung 42" plasma and HT-X200 DVD/Virtual surround sound all in 1 box.

First of all I want to wall mount the screen and hide the cables, but I also fancy adding a Dell Studio Hybrid PC to stream media - these look pretty smart, they come with Blu Ray player, HDMI and optical audio output. Then either a PS3 or Xbox for gaming (I have a Wii but that tends to only get used when people are visiting)

Unfortunately (don't tell her I said that :biggrin) I've got a wedding to save up for, so all this may need to wait a while!

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)