New Here

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by DrHogg, Dec 10, 2009.

1. DrHogg

DrHogg Bit Poster

Hi there!

I decided to join CertForums because where I work everyone seems to be burying their heads in the sand hoping that they save their butts from the on-coming storm :rolleyes: Meanwhile, I am looking to get myself some certificates, so I fancy having some people to relate to! :)

I have more than 15 years of experience in IT, with 7 in my current field. I've done a bit of everything in the past from programming to support. I seem stuck in a rut at the moment in a support role (7 years :blink) but I hope I can move in to a better position in 2010.

I have no degree or such, just bags of experience. Hence I figure it's time to get certified. I want to get MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, MCSE:M. Beyond that, maybe Oracle, I'm not sure.

I have already done the 70-270 (MCP). I have my 70-271 booked for the new year (but I am hoping I can get it done earlier if a free space comes up at the exam centre.) I'm wondering how hard that will be for someone in my position - should I study hard or study a little?

And most importantly, I'll soon be a dad. :D

WIP: 70-682
  2. CPLTD

CPLTD Bit Poster

new here also bud so welcome 8)

3. nephilim

nephilim Bit Poster

Congrats on becoming a dad. I hope you feel welcome here! :)

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCSE,
    WIP: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, MCDBA
  4. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Hi and welcome to the forums. :biggrin

If you have that much experience you could just spend a couple of days on 70-271 and another couple on 70-272. That is what i did and it was not too difficult although i panicked i had not studied enough at the time. The CBT nuggets stuff is pretty good for the MCDST and you could just refresh yourself with that to be sure of what they will test you on and i bet you would pass with a pretty good score.

The MS official books are pretty good too. Reading them takes longer than a CBT though and with your experience you probably do not need to work through the examples because it will be so familiar that a quick watch of a vid will refresh where a particular option is in Outlook Express or something.

Congrats on the dad bit too!:D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  5. DrHogg

DrHogg Bit Poster

Thanks!

I have browsed the MCDST forum and I think (as you say,) I should be okay with some light study. Hopefully I can get the 70-271 brought forward to before Christmas and then do the 70-272 just after. That would be quite a nice start to the new year! :)

WIP: 70-682
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome, Doc!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!