New here. Willing to start a career in software testing. Looking for advice.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Arrr, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Arrr

Arrr New Member

Hi everybody!:)

I new to England, I've been here for a little over a year. I live in London in Leyton area.
    I did a lot of different office related jobs like PA, reception, office junior etc.
    I'm advanced computer user, using it since I was a child, I can still remember computers where you had to insert a tape into a player to load a program, ooooooh childhood=)
    Here in London I did took a basic course in programming with C/C++ but it suits more for developers, not for software testers.
    I'm thinking of A+ Certification and no doubt knowledge and certificates are always a plus, but I'm not really sure what should I learn and which certificates I need to get to start a career in software testing. I'm looking for a short course/s where they not only give the theory but where you are provided with job placement.....yeah I know that it's too much to ask)))) If not job placement then maybe emulate working on some kind of a project, so that you could get some experince, get to know what it's like to work as a software tester.
    There many companies out there and most of them say yes we do this, this and that but in general all they want is your money.
    So any feedback and contacts of learning centres/colleges which provide that kind of service would be highly appreciated.
    And if you want to know more about me or just have a chat PM me

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hmm... I dunno, Arrr. I wouldn't know how to get hired as JUST a software tester, because all the software testers I know are also programmers. It doesn't seem that companies hire people to do only testing, but I could be mistaken.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

It does happen, although I suspect more in the games industry than in the business industry. A large software house (such as MS) may employ full-time testers though.

I couldn't honestly say how to get into that though. Perhaps some of the game devs (theres one or two around here I think) might be able to shed some light on it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Arrr

Arrr New Member

I must say you are wrong. It's just that most of software testing jobs aren't usually posted on boards. And I am looking forward to become a developer, but testing first 'cos it's easier to get into that field. And as time goes by I'll accumulate knowledge and experience working in a team.

5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Even some small software companies employ dedicated testers. We had a couple of dedicated software testers at Transcender.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The trouble with testing is that you also need to get to know the test suites out there, the likes of Mercury Interactive (now HP) TestDirector or Load Runner Suites. I know software testers and I think you need to further think whether it's testing you want to get into because if so it's a niche market, unfortunately it's not usually something you just fall into with no experience.

As far as courses and job placement goes, if anyone offers you that opportunity just walk right away because it's a con, plain and simple.

I think you would probably stand a better chance of learning to program than getting a job straight away as a tester (you have to have the methodology and understanding behind it, something that you can't 'teach' but something that comes over time).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not sure I'd consider Joe a "dedicated software tester". :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Plenty deadicated tester jobs about, although I do prefer the Agile approach of multidisciplinary teams.

Most testers I know at least have a computing degree, used to be easy field to walk into, prob not now though, times changed.

9. alagh

alagh New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am live near london and looking for job in software testing. I have done 3 months course in software testing and also done certification(ISTQB). i am ready to take up any kind of job in testing becaz i need it desperately. can someone please help me where should i look up or from where should i take advice from on this. Thank you.