New here, want to get back into IT

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Spangle, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Spangle

Spangle New Member

Hi everyone:D

I'm here to try to find advice on getting back into IT after a 6 year absence. Now I just need to find the correct forum to post in.

Hopefully you guys can help me

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

We'll try our best.

Welcome to the forums :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Welcome to Cert Forums :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums ! :biggrin

You say you've had a break - what were you doing before in IT ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. Spangle

Spangle New Member

Started '80 as Sperry mainframe operator, moved into comms then systems programming. Permanent sysprog work till 1987 then contracts till '92 (UK, HK and Germany). Moved to PC work late '92 (dBase + Hardware/Nnetworks). '94 moved to Manchester writing Cobol on Unix box + Build/Repair PC's + Networks + MS Office. 2000 became hands-on IT Director till company sold mid-'02. End of that phase in IT but spent time living in Thailand building and repairing PC's for expats and installing PC based music/video systems in bars and restaurants. Last 3.5 years spent in pubs... Personal licence holder and cellar certification achieved but rapidly becoming brain-dead:cry: . I still build and repair PC's for friends and do the odd bit of work installing PC's and small networks for friends businesses.

There you go, a brief history of me:D

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Wow ! With that history I'm sure you'll fit right in here :biggrin

So what's on the cards now ? Are you looking at certs ? anything specific job-wise ?

8. Spangle

Spangle New Member

That's my current problem. I did the cerco online test and got an invite to the open day but i'm hearing bad things on the net so not sure. I'm more than capable of self-training and with current lack of funds (pub management doesn't pay) 4k is serious money unless I go into debt. Hence my fishing for advice

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

If you can self study then it's certainly a much cheaper option - even if you top it up with one or two specific courses (online or classroom). There's a wealth of knowledge and advice here from all age groups and cert types.

Other things to look at - LinkedIn and membership of a professional body (BCS, IET etc.).

10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. Spangle

Spangle New Member

I suppose I should try to ascertain which direction I want to go but I think the hardware/network side is the way to go, i suspect my serious programming days are long gone and probably rightly so. So, do I go for the MS certs or maybe move over to Linux. I currently have 3 machines at home, 2 running XP and one dual-boot XP+Ubuntu. Also I see lots of jobs for php and MySQL... Too many options so I need to think about it. Course material isn't a problem, there are lots of places I can download manuals etc... at little or no cost.

BTW Thanks for all the warm welcomes, I appreciate it, feel all gooey inside :lol:

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

If you're looking at the hardware/network side then you might want to consider Cisco too. You would then have good options for a move into security or voice.

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Spangle 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)