New HD formatting problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Jul 22, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I right-click my new ahrd drive in disk management and choose format.
    Then choose NTFS.

It seems to be formatting ok, but when it gets to the end a message appears saying 'did not format correctly' or something similar.

Just trying again now, but does anyone know of possible reasons why it wouldn't format correctly?

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Vaguely remember getting this error once, Flex - will rack my brain cells and try and recall the situation. Are you "playing" with dynamic disks here, at all ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

It's basic disk for now.

I'll probably upgrade, but was going to format first.
    It's enarly finsihed formatting (80% at mo) so when it's finished I'll edit this post with the results.

Here's hoping :funfun

Update
    Argghh ff :cussing didn't work agaiiiin.
    :helpread

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Perhaps one of the sectors has gone bad...just a thought but what type of disk are we talking exactly here? and how big, etc?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

149.05 GB hard drive on system.

It's a Western Digital IDE drive, 8mb cache.
    Full Specifications

I'm going to try formatting it before it goes into Windows, as I've been trying in disk management so far.

Any ideas, suggestions, guys throw them in the pot plz:!::!::!:

Don't be shy now, all are welcome :p

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well personally mate...I dont use Western Digital HDDs. I nearly went for one a few years back when i was building my first PC but a close mate of mine told me not to as he found they did cause some problems...now I aint sure if its still the case but I have stayed well clear of them ever since..im not saying I wont tell people not to go for them...cos the ones I have used have been Seagate and the most recent one being Maxtor and I am very proud of them. So really it could just well be the HDD itself. unless you have used WD HDDs before and they haven caused any probs...

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yeah your going way back mate, the only good HDs used to be Quantum, who got bought out by Maxtor, making maxtors pretty decent
    WD were the first manufacture to bring out 8mb cache HDDs and my and my friends have been using them ever since (2y +) with 0 failure rate

checked the SMART info from one of my 80mb maxtors the otherday, got an online time of over 2 years (total time its been powered not total uptime)

WDs are top of the line HDs these days, i cant work out what flex issue could be unless it got damaged in the mail
    goto the http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp to check out the utlis to check the disk, if its got an error find out before its too late and send it back to OC.CO.UK (get a RMA first or they RTS it)

good luck mate, hope its fine

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I checked the system log, where I read the information provided.

It said that this particular error is usually caused due to faulty cables.

I've just opened up the PC and disconnected the cables (they were in fine) and reconnected them.

It formatted, phew :D

Maybe the cable was slightly loose, but I honestly couldn't tell, it seemed to be in securely.

Geez just glad the HD isn't at fault.

Thanks for the help guys 8)

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When it's not catastrophic, it's usually something simple. Glad you got it sorted.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

after all that eh? just a flamin cable....I thought you said you checked the cables earlier?

11. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Glad you got it fixed Flex, a valuable lesson learnt there mate.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  12. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Other from hammer the damn cables in, I don't know how else I could have securely connected them.

So I just removed them, inserted them again (just the same as I originally did) and it worked.

Last night I got the BSOD on the PC :eek:
    I didn't note the error number, just powered down and booted up again.

After the reboot, everything was fine again.

In disk management and device manager, the new HD isn't showing any problems, and I can access the files I have on the partition.

I bought new cables with the HD, so maybe there's a problem with them?

If I get the BSOD again, I may think about reverting back to my original cables, which I've kept.
    :unsure

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think that your natural aura emits something that just drives computers nuts. :blink :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

You may have othr problems coming if BSOD keeps cropping up. Run a bootable disk diag like Seatools or the IBM disk diag (now at http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm) to be sure. There are a whole range of things that will test for bad sectors, r/w errors etc.

Good luck!

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange