New Guy

Discussion in 'A+' started by Bambino1506, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Hi, looks like a cool forum been reading for few days.

Thought i'd introduce myself instead of lurking, and ask your opinion on whether studying for the A+ is the best route for me.

I work as an operator in a datacentre within a large IT department, have done for several years. Know very very little about hardware but have always wanted to get into pc repair.

figured I would read up on Meyers 6th edition complete A+ book and order a dvd set maybe, also there are plenty of old pc's floating around at work I can take apart etc when there's not much work to do on shift.

And then finally put in for the two exams.

Once passed start applying for a pc technician job.

Would you think I will be able to land a technician job with just that sort of experience ?

Forgot to say, 24 years old.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  2. Bambino1506

Forgot to say I'm in the UK.

Is A+ recognised in the UK or is there a better entry level certification I should do to get into pc hardware support ?

Thought it might be more of a US qualification.

3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

If your looking to get into PC Hardware Support, I'd say that A+ is the best place to start, it is entry level but will teach you a great foundation on all the different aspects within a computer.

The cert is recognised in the UK, perhaps not as much as in the US, but its definitly worth having over here as well!

The Meyers book is highly recommended and many people use it, I personally went for the Sybex book which I find very good. Its often good to have 2 books if your financial situation allows it, so you can cross reference between the two.

Good luck with your studies! :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. MattW

MattW Bit Poster

For what its worth, I have just done a few days assisting a senior systems engineer and when I told him I was studying for the A+ he said it was very much up and coming in the UK as a preferred qualification.

Certifications: None - YET !
    WIP: A+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Although I'm not in the UK, I'd recommend getting the A+.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Bambino1506

Thanks very much guys.

Got a lot of reading and learning to do, know nothing about hardware or electrics. Figure will take me atleast a year to prepare.

7. Bambino1506

Thanks mate, added you to messenger.

8. Bambino1506

reps given :D