New Graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brizzoluk, Dec 4, 2010.

1. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Im looking to upgrade my graphics card and for the money i have to spend this seems pretty good?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...cards/atihd5600series/asus/eah5670di1gd5.html

I currently have an ATI Radeon 3650
    Intel core2duo E8400 3GHz CPU
    Asus P5Q-E Mobo

I will also be upgrading my PSU.

Do you think this graphics card is a good choice?

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Personally I prefer NVidia cards, however I do have the 5700 series ATi graphic card (not sure if it's the 5770 or the 5750 without opening up my PC) in my PC at the moment.

I do believe that your choice is a good one though. And according to the general benchmarking scores, you'll see a good increase on the change of the card :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Ken, just make sure you get a good quality high amperage power supply.

I would recommend a corsair 750TX this would accomodate any futher upgrades like extra NICs, USB devices etc etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Thanks Ken & GBL
    The PSU i was looking at is the Corsair TX 650W, the amperage isnt that much different to the 750W, is it worth the extra cash for that much extra?
    Im guessing it prob is, just trying to keep the price down but my USB useage is quite high so it will prob be worth it in the long run.

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. greenbrucelee

Corsair power supplies are made by seasonic and Seasonic are the best so you know your getting quality. However I always make sure my system has room to breath and isn't just making the system work. Yes there aint much diff betwoeen the 650 and 750 but you would be suprised how much you would be able to chuck at your system when compared to another 750w psu by anyone else.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Given that USB powers devices with 5V +/- at a maximum of 500mA (half an Amp) and that power is calculated as Volts x Current, the maximum power that any USB port can provide is 2.5 Watts.

Typically most USB devices like keyboards and mice etc do not draw anywhere near the maximum 500mA, more in the region of 100mA. So, that equates to 0.5 Watts.

I think you are over emphasising the load factor that USB can put on a systems power supply, GBL. Obviously there is some load but it is relatively small.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When I'm comparing graphics cards, I always go to gpureview.com to check out the differences between them. It's a great site... just click Compare Cards on the left-hand menu.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

don't know how much of a budget you have set aside for this, but add another 50 to it and you could get a Nvidia 460 GTX card. Its what i'm getting ina few weeks. They can be had for as little as £120ish and as much as £200 but are a good lower-mid range card. I think Nvidia have teh slight edge at this price range with better cards. But then i biased. Every ATI card i've had has caused me nothing but grief!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  9. greenbrucelee

I wasn't really meaning to emphasise USB devices. I was trying to point out that getting a psu that gives the system room to breath allows for extra added hardware. I'll phrase better next time.