New girl is in town lol

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jaycee0408, Dec 17, 2008.

1. jaycee0408

jaycee0408 Bit Poster

Hi everyone, I found this forum while researching for my first IT course. I couldn't believe the mass of information available here, wish I have found this forum earlier, would save me a lot of headache :p I am still torn between MCDST and A+ with N+, guess I would need to do a bit more research :rolleyes:

Peace (Y)

WIP: A+
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It all depends on what you want to do. There's nothing to stop you doing them all you know? :p

My suggestion would be to start with the A+/N+ and then do the MCDST, but it's entirely up to you and your experience level.

But anyway, hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Care to tell us a bit more about yourself?

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Why not do all 3 :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Qs

Ken! Stop copying me! :( lol

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi there :kngt

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. jaycee0408

jaycee0408 Bit Poster

I've just left A level college 5 months ago ,started working in the council's office straight after college. I studied double maths and biology in my A level. I was going to pick BTEC IT national diploma as one of my subjects but parents were half forcing, half persuading that I should pick science instead. I decided uni isn't my cup of tea, so my biology seems like a big waste :p

In GCSE, I have a merit for GNVQ level 1 (i think it is level 1), this is the only qualification I have got at the moment. But I have a great interest in IT, fixing PC, trying out new software, the lot.

Thanks for your advice, wagnerk, I would strongly consider your opinion. Might as well do all 3 while I am still young lol

7. Qs

Sounds pretty much like me. I was never interested in uni, did my A-Levels and avoided IT specific subjects (took Maths, English and Physics instead). After that I started working in a cruddy Finance job straight away. From there I convinced the I.T manager at the company that I was suitable for a techy job and he was so impressed that he funded my HND. I'm still at the same company six months down the line...

Morale of the story - You never know what life's gonna throw at you.

Let us know what you decide. If you search around these forums you'll find a lot of useful info. :)

Qs

8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Well your options are limitless, you could go to college, something such as a GNVQ in IT should exist, that would enable you to move to University to do a HND/BSC in some IT based field.

Then again you could go down the A+/Network+ and MCDST route as well, give you a platform to find your first job in IT, there is also nothing wrong in looking for a basic IT role now.

I must warn you IT is a tough career, with lots of competition (some highly skilled and qualified people) and you really need to sit down and look at all the different professions within IT and see which route you want to go down, and then plan how you are going to achieve that.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  10. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Hi there, glad you found the site. Everyone's cool here. ^_^

Based on my experience, I'd say that the A+ and N+ are a great choice. You'll gain a massive amount of base knowledge which will enable you to move into more specific routes at a later date. It'll also help greatly in getting into your first IT job, which as anyone will tell you - is not usually that easy.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  11. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Welcome to CF:D....Speaking of which,.. Do we really have ladies as members of this forum or is just a men affair:p

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  12. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Ladies in IT? Neeeugh! Just wouldn't work.

Welcome to the forums :D Don't listen to him :rolleyes: and you'll do well :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  13. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I took the BTEC National Diploma and too be honest, half of it was bull**** and the other half was stuff I already knew. You would of probably ended up with the kids who simply couldn't get onto any other course. I was doing the Advanced course and left after the first year to enter my first IT job.

Although the work is actually pretty useful, you create a lot of Manuals for installing and doing certain things which come in handy when applying for your IT job, you can email the manuals you make at college as proof you can guide people through the processes.

It is just a tad bit of a sausage fest

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  14. jaycee0408

jaycee0408 Bit Poster

As I am working for the council now, as soon as I have become a permanent staff, I could move around to different department. The senior IT manager of the building I am working in is a very close family friend, hopefully he would do me a big favour lol

Thanks Qs, for the heads up

15. jaycee0408

jaycee0408 Bit Poster

Mind you, I am very boy-ish ever since I was a kid haha

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings and welcome. We do have ladies here, Leehaa being one of them, but alas, like IT in general, there tend to be an over abundance of males.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. jaycee0408

jaycee0408 Bit Poster

It's always the case, I was the only girl out of the 6 students to have a predicted distinction in GNVQ Level 1 IT my year. Do make me feel a tad special tho lol

18. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

We're here. We're just subtle about being here. We only occasionally threaten violence, and let the men believe that they're mostly in charge.

When they see the duct tape or the steel clad boots, they know they're about to be put in their place :wink:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  19. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Is there an option for the duct tape and boots together ? :eek::p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  20. jaycee0408

jaycee0408 Bit Poster

Like my bf's mum said "Let the men think they have the control, but never let them have it" lol