New gfx card suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dales, Dec 23, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Right then, I think it maybe time to start looking around at a new graphics card for my machine, Hopefully it wont be long now until my youngest nipper will go to bed on her own (currently 8 weeks old) and I am hoping to get the beast out of the way late jan early feb, so this may give me some time to pick up on the games I've missed out on over the past year or so.

My card at the moment is an ati x800xt with 512mb onboard. it cost me about £114 when I bought it a year or two ago and im assuming that its relatively archaic by todays standards. Im looking for suggestions on what to replace it with probably at about the same amount of gold coins.

My pc is a socket 939 amd64 3800+x2 with 2 gigs of ddr1 memory (yes I know thats old too), I have been quite happily playing battlefield 2142 on it at a decent res.

I mostly play FPS cause thats all i really have time too ( when all the days events are done I can sometimes get an hour of gaming in if im lucky), so might have a go at crysis or something similar.

As you may have guessed im only a very casual gamer so do not want to upgrade everything just to play games.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The first question that springs to mind is - what slot is the graphics card?

If it is AGP then your choice of cards is severely limited.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Oh aye, Dont think I've ever had a VGA slot (snigger), anyway its a PCI-express socket, got the board shortly after that came out so if there is several versions its the first one!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I realized almost immediately I'd got the wrong acronym - and changed it! (It's been a tiring day today - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

If it is PCIe then your next limitation is power. Some of the modern cards are *very* hungry for power!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The best graphics cards that bring value and power at the moment are the BFG GTX260 OC2 Maxcore editions. I have one and they're great.

The minimum PSU wattage for this card is 525w, it doesn't run hot when compare to GTX280 and is almost identicle in resolution etc due to being factory overclocked.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hmm, hopefully I should be alright for that cause I bought myself a new power supply just a few months ago, I actually spent a decent amount of money on it so it should be good. The pc doesnt have too much bobins connected to it just one hard drive 2 rom drives and power for the existing gfx card.

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Sorry GBL £200 is abit rich for me, as I said originally about £110 is right for me.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

8800GTX then, they also good and they are under your budget.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would have said that card or the 9800GT (15% faster than the standard 9800GT, again within budget) or if you could spend about £20 more then look at the 9800GT XXX which is clocked faster than the first one.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

thanks for your input both I shall have a looky over the xmas period and choose one of those fine cards you have suggested.

11. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

My brother purchased a BFG 9800GT, he seems to like it. Runs in at £113 with HDTV out.

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Always a good idea to compare video card performance statistics here to ensure you're getting the best bang for your buck. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!