New for old?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Rosie1, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

I've really enjoyed reading MM A+ Passport and would really like to get the A+ All-in-One. As I'm planning to sit the A+ 2003 exams, I'm wondering whether buying the A+ 2006 6th edition due soon would perhaps remove me from what I should be studying?

I'd rather buy an updated version to keep abreast of what's happening, but at the same time I don't want to be diverted by material that's inappropriate to my current requirements.

Rgds

Rosie

Certifications: A+, CIW foundation
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Rosie it all depends on when you going to take your exam! If you not going to take it anytime soon then get the new one... having flipped through the book yesterday it looks like a good book and mike meyers seems to have done some good work once again with the upgrades!

ps windows xp galore! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Thx for the response. Hope to take the exam around March.

As books are quite costly it would make sense to buy the newer version (and I could do with some catch up!). After reading Passport (and another A+ tome), I think the All-in-One would concrete my studies. But I don't want to miss out on info for my 2003 exams.

Rgds

Rosie

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well look i think you got till the 30th June 2007 to take the old exams - both of them! So if you think you can manage to do them both before then get the older version which you can get in the uk. Otherwise you will have to wait for the newer 6th edition to come out in the Uk (out in the US).

Dont be fooled by the passport... the All In One is a BIG book much much bigger than the passport so im sure there will be plenty of things to cover still

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Cheers - I'll take your advice.

Rgds

Rosie

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Zimbo's right, the PAssport book is a cut down version of the All in one book. I have both and although I get on better with the Passport book it does not cover all of the criteria in A+

It would be unwise decision to sit the exam without reading the all-in-one book8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

That's great. Thks. I agree, Passport is very readable.

Rgds

Rosie

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Rosie,

I'll add my support to this view - All in One is the (very BIG) Daddy. I don't think anyone here would recommend doing the exam with anything less, or similar.

Good luck, however you choose :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Rosie,

The A+ will always have a place in my heart -it is what started the snowball for me, so I like to keep an eye on it.

I would say that whatever recommended material you buy, it won't go to waste. Knowledge is the key to sucess and cert's.

Make sure you download, print and go through the objectives before sitting the test.

Best of luck

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Big thank you for all the advice. I've read my A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining your Computer tome by Jean Andrews about four times. As good as it is, after reading Passport, I feel there could be possible gaps so I've taken the plunge and invested in the All-in-One 5th edition to see me through the exams.

As you say, it's worth the investment, and I'm really enjoying this too.

Thx again.

Rosie

11. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

A wise choice Rosie..:thumbleft

Don't forget to ask if you need any help or advice and good luck with your studying..:biggrin

Certifications: A+ Network+
  12. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Thx. I'm sure the situation will arise and it's a comfort knowing there is a forum to turn to.

Rgds

Rosie