new flash all skill train students please read!

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by njers, Jun 2, 2009.

1. njers

njers New Member

below is a link from watchdog about skilltrain oct 2008.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2008/10/the_skills_training_thats_off.html

please read before leaving any comments.

Something has to be done!
    :x

Thank you

WIP: ciw website design manager
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yeah, there's a thread about it here when it came out.

It's companies like these (as well as other things) that devalues certifications, misleads students and then makes out that our professional is worth a 5 week education... :x

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. itskillsguy

itskillsguy Nibble Poster

I've received loads of complaints over the years about skills train. They also operate under as Metropolitan International Schools Limited and Scheidegger.

Be careful & watch out because they are bad news.

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Please check out this forum before posting 'breaking' news...

:D

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. gkoef

gkoef New Member

Seeing that some of the material in this course is out of date, do the exams cover this course content or is it all of current practices making the exams almost unpassable (I have finished studying version 5, its now just revision; lots of it. lol). On a good note, the Adobe package you get from Skillstrain contains CS4 Dreamweaver, Flash, and Fireworks which are the current versions, although the course gives information for the CS3 package, and there are some differences in the practical sections of this course.

Another thing to take note of is that the information in the course on Dreamweaver, Flash, and Fireworks, is very little, so there is lots to learn outside the course. There are lessons on the Adobe site, but you need materials such as images to do them. Personally Ive bought the Adobe classroom books on each of the three above and also the ActionScript one as well (a good thing to know if using Flash). I can highly recommend these books, they are pricey but worth it and each has a cd containing all the materials needed.

6. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Cancelling your course with Skillstrain is a total nightmare - I would strongly advise anybody thinking of doing a course with them to approach cautiously and think it over - do not sign in that pressure sale situation thinly disguised as some kind of selection interview. I was fooled on August 17th into accepting a completely unsuitable Cisco course for £2,700 and it took until yesterday to get any kind of help from them concerning my cancellation, which I initiated the following day. This is the terse letter I finally received in the post yesterday (attached) so I can get my deposit back and loan agreement cancelled.

I felt like a total fool signing up and it was only afterwards that I discovered all the problems others have had, the Watchdog report and a whole host of other problems.

Maybe I'm in a minority, I don't know, but aside from that five minutes when I felt I was a 'valued student' the whole process was shambolic, the one positive aspect is that online research led me to sites like this and saved me a lot of money and stress. I'm just glad I realised it during the 'cooling off period' because outside of this you are at their mercy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
    Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012