New exams easier to study for ?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Bambino1506, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Seems to me, not that I know much about it, that the new exams 2007 ones, would be easier to prepare for because there are less OS to learn.

ie old exams you could be asked about Win 95, 98, 2000,NT,2003, XP....So you would have to learn all their differences.

New exams I think 95 and 98 have been cut.

Would appreciate ur input folks :) :D :biggrin

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well that depends on your own personal experience. I haven't sat the A+ but i would be quite happy to be faced with questions about Win9x or ME or 2000 for that matter as I have vast experience using those operating systems. If you are relatively new to this game, then i agree the new exam may be easier to study for but you can bet the the added content will make up for any that has been removed.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Ah sorry yeah forgot to say I have very little experience with Win9x.

Yeah I'm sure there will be added content.

Just found a laptop to mess with at work but upon booting it up realised the hard drive had been removed lol, will have to wait till more high quality junk pc's go in the scrap cage i guess.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  4. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

The new 2006 exams are easier in the fact you dont need to remember things like IRQ's, DMA's or any addresses, but they do focus more on sercurity and customer service, also laptops are covered in a lot more detail

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  5. andy-d

andy-d Bit Poster

In practice tests i've come across, there's a bit about IRQ's and I/O addresses...

WIP: A+
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I agree with Bluerinse on this. For us newcomers, the material is a little easier to study due to the fact that in my working life, its only been Windows XP onwards, which makes learning about older OS's pretty difficult.

Its the same on alot of the objectives, I have an idea of each objective before I open the book. Whereas with the 2003 objectives, some of the bits I hadnt really had any exposure too.

The real problem i've personally come across is the lack of materials to study from. For example, sources such as CBT Nuggets are not releasing the 2006 videos til April sometime, which means learning more from a book and notes angle. Its most likely the approach myself and many others would've taken anyway, but it does cut down the options available if a certain way doesnt seem to be working for you.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012