New comedy on Channel 4

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by wizard, Jan 9, 2006.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just thought this might interest the UK membership. A new comedy is coming to channel 4 called "The I.T. Crowd". Based around I.T.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Here's am early LINK

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

when is it on?

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

With writters and producers of that calibre it's going to be good for sure!

I just wish we could get proper TV here :x

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Premieres online on the 27th I think, then on the TV on Feb 3rd. Don't know the time, my memory banks don't store that much information. :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Tonight at 9.00 ladies and gentlemen...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I dont watch TV...but dont u think it would be a dull insight on who we really are? of course they could just take the mick like other sit-coms such as the Office...so no doubt it would be a laugh...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. MattyW

MattyW Bit Poster

looking forward to it, Will make a nice distraction from revising Wireless Networking

Certifications: BSc
  9. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

I'm very much looking forward to IT (geddit?) It's followed by 'My Name is Earl' aswell; don't think I'm going out on a Friday for a while!

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  10. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Cool.

Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbleft

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Watched the first 2 episodes, all I can say is that it's an excellent program, this was the 1st time in a ling time that I actually watched a non-sky channel :biggrin

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Enjoyed it too, good stuff.

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  13. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I gotta say.... We geeks are already looked at sideways by a lot of people who think we're just flat out weird because we like technology so much. Now we're being portrayed as not only weird, but as incompetent and lacking in people skills too.... I'll bet shows like this won't get any of us any more money because many people already think we don't do anything and TV is a powerful shaper of public opinion....

While it's only a comedy, it's a joke because all good jokes have an element of the truth about how many people see a certain subject. Jokes tend to reinforce those beliefs too. You don't believe that? Take a look at political comedies.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a stick in the mud, but that's what I see....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  14. MattyW

MattyW Bit Poster

Can't say I liked it, but then again The 1st series of Father Ted took a while to get warmed up, I'll give it time though. I liked the characters, I've met some people who are like them and I could see parts of myself in Mossy - the last time I started a chip pan fire in my kitchen I just marvelled at it for a good few seconds before my housemate put it out.
    Will look forward to the next one

Certifications: BSc
  15. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

It was pretty much what I was expecting, stereotyping the employees of an IT department.

The typical boss who knows nothing about com-per-ters but apparently has the people skills to deal with other departments as the ‘geeks’ can’t possibly hold a 5 minute conversation without mentioning gigabytes.

I agree with Freddy that this shows us as lazy, weird and boring to an extent. It couldn’t be further from the truth, I don’t go home and ‘do IT’ in my spare time, sure I revise / practise for exams but most of the time I am in the pub or playing football or out with the missus.

Some parts of the show made me laugh but it wasn’t that great, I much preferred Teachers as that was excellent, but then again if you’re a teacher you would probably think that the show stereotypes teachers.

End of the day it is a just a TV programme! :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  16. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Although I thought it was funny, I had two irks with this programme.

Similair to others, its portrayal of 'geeks' as men that hide in dark rooms, don't speak to others much, and spend most of their lives being...well, sad.

My other is that it only portrays men. Women are pyschotic, shoe-obsessed thickos, apparently.

When I stopped being serious about it, the shows were funny. The 'screen saver' especially tickled me :)

Although I did get slightly more hyperactive when trailers for a new series of Green Wing started appearing...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  17. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Quality show :biggrin

Looking forward to it coming on again, my missus doesn't like it but then again she is only interested in her shoes...

(Only joking Arroryn :oops: Although she is obsessed by shoes!)

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  18. Arroryn

lol. I take no offence.
    My sister has an obsession with shoes. My parents are proud of that. They're worried when they visit my flat and see 4 old Pentiums under the bed that I'm waiting to work on, but the fact that my sister has 70 pairs of shoes is completely normal...

19. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Would they find it more reassuring if those were four young Pentiums???? Maybe it's an age thing..... :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  20. Arroryn

There is a witty, cutting-edge answer to that.

When I think of it, I'll edit my post. :biggrin