New colleague is explaining too much stuff!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Apoc220, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Hey guys,

So I've just started this new role on a contract doing desktop support for a school. One of my colleagues is a trainee with roughly one year under his belt in IT. The problem I have is that sometimes he will explain BASIC windows stuff to me without me asking. For example, he tried walking me through updating drivers on windows and this morning explained to me the process of copying files from a share over to a machine (going as far as telling me to "plug the network cable to the machine"). This is painful for me as I have seven years under my belt of IT. Got my MCDST and have been managing servers during that time as well. To have this junior tech treating me like I don't know what I'm doing is a bit much for me.

I understand that the reason why he does this might be because he isn't familiar with my background. he knows I did IT in the military and have done some contracts, but I think he doesn't get that I know how to do this basic stuff. What would you guys suggest in my situation? A friend told me that I should probably bring it up to my manager since some people get rubbed the wrong way with this kind of stuff. I appreciate that he's trying to help, but I don't think I can go the next three months having this kid walk me through windows 101. Thanks!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I had the same problem when I started my current job – was good few years ago.

Anyways, I had logged onto my new laptop and one of the tech guys tried to talk me through adding a printer!

I laughed and said if I needed his help I would ask him!

In your situation I would do the same – just say something like “I’m sure you have lots to do so if I need any help I’ll let you know – Cheers” :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

You can only take so much. Best to be professional about it and do as Sparky said in a nice smiley way.

Maybe direct him to your linkedin if you have one.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with Sparky :)

The only other thing I can think of why he'd did this is to prove that he know his stuff as well.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

I have to agree with Sparky and Wagnerk; it sounds more like he is insecure about himself. I am sure the manager would have given everyone a quick rundown of who you are before you started and what experience you have.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Just be blunt and to the point, to be honest. Explain to him that you actually know what you are doing, and don't need hand-holding. You don't need to be nasty about it, but if you do it in any indirect, or joky way then there is a risk that he wont take what you are saying seriously.

If that doesn't work, just stare at him in stony silence whenever he does it. Don't follow his instructions, don't respond, just stare until he gets uncomfortable and goes away.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

You get these people everywhere. Think of it as a test of your social skills to not bite their head off, which is very tempting to do. I've just had a lad join us from 2LS. I wrote a powercli script to shut my guests and hosts down, throw up a text box to ask what host etc. Anyway one of the experienced lads asked me if I managed to finish my script so I said yeah, 99%, I just want to tweak it before giving it to the gang. "You are welcome to have a look and add too it if you like" I said to him and the 2LS lad (not so much a kid actually come to think of it) because I wanted to add a time and date input box (I've only managed to get it to ask me for a date can't figure the time bit if anyone knows Powershell!). Doesn't this tool only turn around and say to me, "yeah we should be able to do that!". I instantly cut him off and said "Yes I know, I wrote it".

Cheeky sod. Slap the punk down I say. Don't take any crap, cut them off mid sentence with "I know" and walk away ha ha I am modest about what I know because I've got a lot to learn. Its a pet hate of mine when people think they are great and they clearly aren't. Rant over! ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to move from the original post but jk did ask the question :P

Code:
    function Get-TimePicker {   
    	[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("System.windows.forms") | Out-Null

$winForm = New-Object Windows.Forms.Form   
    	$winForm.text = "TimePicker Control"   
    	$winForm.Size = New-Object Drawing.Size(215,80) 

$timePicker = New-Object System.Windows.Forms.DateTimePicker   
    	$timePicker.Format = [Windows.Forms.DateTimePickerFormat]::custom 
    	$timePicker.CustomFormat = "hh:mm"
    	$timePicker.ShowUpDown = $true
    	$winForm.Controls.Add($timePicker)

$okButton = New-Object System.Windows.Forms.Button
    	$okButton.Location = New-Object System.Drawing.Size(125,20)
    	$okButton.Size = New-Object System.Drawing.Size(75,23)
    	$okButton.Text = "OK"
    	$okButton.Add_Click({$winForm.Close()})
    	$winForm.Controls.Add($okButton)

$winForm.Add_Shown($winForm.Activate())  
    	$winForm.showdialog() | Out-Null  
    	return $timePicker.Value.ToShortTimeString()
    }

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Try not to let this get to you. Concentrate on doing the job well, and he'll see you know what you are doing, and maybe will not then 'explain' things so much. If you're cheeky it creates a bad team ethic - and you never know you might actually need his help later. Be polite, and see the funny side - and remember things can go very quickly from being very easy to very hard in this job.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Not sure why this is a big deal.
    I've worked with people who have annoyed me for loads of reasons.
    The guy is probably nervous or trying to over-compensate for his lack of experience by trying to show off what he knows.
    If you're an old dog with nothing to prove, all you have to do is raise an eyebrow and smile to yourself.
    We were all young once.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Did you let him explain these things to you? To be fair, if you didn't stop him when he tried to show you how to add drivers then it's no wonder he is continuing to hold your hand through everything else.

Just stop him before he gets going and tell him thanks, but you know what your doing.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  12. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Thanks for the responses, guys. The biggest problem I have with it is that I am a person that likes figuring things out on my own, so to have someone explaining things when I know it already is tough for me. I am OK with it in most situations, but I see this as a recurring trend and I want to avoid it if possible. If it happens again I will bring it up respectfully to him. I haven't stopped him before since I have been getting a hold of the system and didn't want to assume things that might not be in play in the environment. However at this point I have a good grasp on the system so I will be sure to tell him when I am able to take it on my own. Thanks again to everyone, it was good to get some perspective on this!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Take him to one side and explain your background to him, let him know that he is actually teaching you to suck eggs and that it's actually embarrassing that he keeps trying to explain things to you. Tell him that if you weren't capable of doing the role you wouldn't have been hired to do it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  14. TechBoy

TechBoy Bit Poster

Or you could just kick him in the nuts and say you leg slipped. That way he'll never come near you ever again. :D

Certifications: Comptia A+ (2009), MCDST
    WIP: Comptia Network+, MCAS