New Cisco CCNA

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by cisco lab rat, Mar 26, 2013.

1. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Well looks like the people at Cisco have managed to churn out a new CCNA with nothing what so ever to write home about

200-120 CCNA - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

It looks pretty much the same as the old one, the only major differences are

No RIP (RIP RIP)
    Utilize netflow data
    Recognize High availability (FHRP)
    Plus a few other things...........

Frame Relay is still in there, they have not put in any CBAC, Or Intervlan routing using L3 Switches, no multi area OSPF, No real detail on EIGRP. I don't know, sometimes I wonder who at Cisco puts this stuff together, I will keep teaching the 'NA my own way.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  2. HP_Guy

HP_Guy New Member

Joe,

Do you think it will be reasonable to still lab the new requirements using IOS 12 gear?

Cheers :)

3. cisco lab rat

I am only going what I have seen on the Cisco site and a few other sources.

There does not seem to be any content in the new 'NA which cannot be done with 12.4

I have on the other hand heard rumours that the new 'NA may be based on IOS 15 but then again this is just a rumour

Bit of a pain since I have to write some new labs but at least wireless is out of the 'NA

4. cisco lab rat

Munch, Munch, Munch. I am eating pie of the humblest Nature.

I have just gotten hold of the New CCNA Manuals and I must say, this is one Hard Core Certification HARD CORE!!!!

I am a very, very, very happy person.

5. HP_Guy

HP_Guy New Member

Thanks Joe.

6. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Are the ICND1 and 2 exams changing as well?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  7. cisco lab rat

Yes, they are changing.

The majority of the subjects in the current ICND1 and ICND2 are still present in the new versions. The new subjects have been drawn down from the CCNP level material. It's by far the toughest CCNA from all the the various versions over the years. Looking forward to the new CCNP when ever it is they revamp that.

8. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Is the difference that profound? If it is, I wonder whether they've missed a trick by not renaming it. The 'CCNA' has gone the way of the old 'MCSE' in my opinion, and has become massively devalued.

- Gav

9. cisco lab rat

I read the 200-101 last night, I am currently reading the 100-101 (200-101 = ICND2 , 100-101 = ICND1)

It's not different, it's just more detailed and more complex, in short, It's finally brilliant, this is exactly that sort of thing I have always wanted the syllabus to be. Before it felt like they were teasing the reader/student with certain subjects by but not taking the time or effort to explain in any worth while detail.

What has pleased me is that finally Cisco have stuck in Fault Finding into the CCNA, something that has been missing from the CCNA.

Oh, also the new CCNA is based on IOS 15, but before you all panic and throw your sims and gear out of the window don't panic, the CLI is the same as 12.4 / 12.3
    The new stuff expects you to know that there will be no more hanky panky with their IOS's, from now on if you want features you pay for them.

For me I only have to write two new labs to bring my CCNA inline with the new one. I preempted Cisco by 5 years on this one :-)

The manuals which I am reading are Cisco Press written by Wendell Odom

Dear Cisco, do try and keep up.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  10. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

what date does it change over to the new exams?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  11. cisco lab rat

Last date to test for the current CCNA is the 30th of Sep 2013.

You can take the new ones now. Booking my one tomorrow for the week after next.

I personnally hate these sort of exams, I get bored half way through and start rushing to get it over with, I wish cisco would make all their exam one big simulation rather than answering questions which in the real world you would simply look up in your notes. Much harder to cheat on a hands-on exam, (But not impossible) if they ensure they keep tweaking the sims.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  12. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

Anyone happen to know when the new books will be available in the UK? Amazon.co.uk currently stating delivery times of 1 - 2 months! Amazon.com already has stock :(

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  13. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

New ICND1 (100-101) book has been released in the UK...finally. New ICND2 (200-101) not available just yet though...

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  14. skellum

skellum New Member

Wendell Odom's 100-101 and 200-101 have been published on O'Reilly's Safari books (paywall unfortunately).